Reeder Mod 1 and 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thom

Reaction score
Hi

Just did the pot swap and mid mod on my LSS. It was a bit fiddly to do, the hardest thing being to get the lower pots out as they clash with the PCB. Anyway all done in about an hour. I have done stuff like this before so was qute confident. If you have not I would recommend getting a tech to do it, should be quite cheap. First impressions are very good. The Master volume on channel 2 is much less sensitive, so I can control the level better, at low volumes. The best thing is that the amp is much brighter, more zingy if you will. I still have the bass and mids very low and the treble quite high, but the guitar sounds bright and the neck pickup sounds very good (talking strat here). I plugged in my Hamer fitted with Bareknuckle Miracle Man humbuckers and got some great tones out of that as well, again brighter than before and more pleasing to the ear. I was quite sceptical about the pot swap before I tried it but have to say it really does work very well.....hard to understand why the amp doesn't come like this in the first place. Anyway, its early days but I am really looking forward to using the amp with these mods. Not heard from Charles on this forum for a while, but if you're listening, then thanks very much!

Thom,

What did you do with the 5th screw (the vibration screw that sticks out in the back of the amp)?
Did you have to remove it to get the chassis out? Thanks!

Matt

mdortona said:
What did you do with the 5th screw (the vibration screw that sticks out in the back of the amp)?
Did you have to remove it to get the chassis out? Thanks!
You shouldn't have to do anything with that, actually, except perhaps loosen it a little for the chassis removal and then a careful re-tighten when you reassemble. It should just apply a small amount of pressure against the inside top of the cabinet (and the grounding foil on that surface), and it will stick out of the chassis a small amount when doing so. Care is recommended for users who overzealously tighten screws that look like they need tightening; at least one dude around the 'board tightened his all the way through the top of his amp. :cry:

I only had to adjust mine once after taking my amp apart a few times; after one venture in and out of there I noticed an alarming ground-related buzz coming from the amp, that went away whenever I touched one of the mounting screws on top of the cabinet. Then I remembered the 5th screw, tightened it a little, and the buzz went away.

Thanks djw for the advice and guidance (and yes, I can very easily see myself being one of those obssessive-compulsive over-tighteners) :lol:

Matt

plan-x said:
I never had to do anything with that screw?

Yeah, me neither. Either we are brutes and forced it around or our version didn't have it.... :D

As stated by everyone else, I didn't touch the 5th screw. I just removed the output valves and the rectifier valve as a precaution. The chassis comes away very easily, and I was very surprised by just how light it is. The weight is definately in the cabinet and speakers.

Just an update, a week on or so from doing the 2 Reeder mods on my LSS; I was very happy when I first did the mods. Since then I have experimented with the tone controls and I find they are so much more useable, (not sure if 'useable' is a word but I'm sure you know what I mean). I used to have the bass and mids almost off, prior to the Reeder mods. I now have the bass and mid at around the 12 O'clock mark and the treble on about 3. I have the output on 5 watts and I am getting a beautiful distortion sound at low volume. The amp sounds fantastic. I didn't do the Reeder Mid mod on channel one, but may give it a try soon; did anyone else try this?

Anyway I am very impressed by this amp, it sounds great, and this is all with no effects.

thom said:
I didn't do the Reeder Mid mod on channel one, but may give it a try soon; did anyone else try this?

Anyway I am very impressed by this amp, it sounds great, and this is all with no effects.
If it ain't broke.....
Ch 2 was broke. Ch 1 loses some of that fat pig mojo after the mod. I reversed it.

plan-x said:
thom said:
I didn't do the Reeder Mid mod on channel one, but may give it a try soon; did anyone else try this?

If it ain't broke.....
Ch 2 was broke. Ch 1 loses some of that fat pig mojo after the mod. I reversed it.
Ditto.

Latest posts

Back