Lone Star Special Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericfrape

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had a Mesa LSS for about 6 months now and it has been great but it failed on me this past weekend and I'm wondering if this is anything to be concerned with (overly concerned anyway).

I've read through all the posts on the problem with the rectifier tube but I don't think that is the issue as I was playing in the 30 watt mode which the rectifier tube problem does not seem to apply to as the amp uses the ss rectifier in that mode.

I was on the drive channel and was driving the amp pretty hard with an over drive from a Line 6 M13 in the front. I also had a loop running with a boss RC20 Looper. But overall I did not have the amp cranked - half up on the drive channel volume and about 2:00 on the master - engaged through the solo boost.

The amp just quit, I looked down saw a bit of smoke out the back and smelled that awful fried electrical smell.

Needles to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

It's at the dealer that I purchased from to be checked but I have not heard back yet as to what the problem is, although they indicated "this can happen with tube amps". I also called Mesa to get their thoughts and they gave a similar response - "hard to say what caused it, but it can happen with any tube amp."

A few questions: Is this typical? I know tube amps can be volatile but this seems strange to me. It's not like I was abusing the thing and I hardly every play it at that volume.

Should I be concerned about any major damage as I follow this up with repair technician?

Is there anything I should be mindful of in the future to avoid this from happening again in terms of the way I was using the amp?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I've owned various tube amps for 20 years and never smoked one. Yes it can happen, but it shouldn't if you have your speakers connected properly. I've had the rectifier tube blow on my LSS the fuse took care of the juice before the amp could smoke like it's supposed to.

Sounds like screen grid resistors. I've done that. My amp cover still smells like cooking resistors.

I had this happen with my Lonestar Special, although the burning smell mine made was more like burning carpet than an awful fried electrical smell... turned out it was the power transformer burnt out on mine. Mesa's local agents repaired it for me free of charge under the warranty.

Latest posts

Back