LSS speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thom

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2x12 LSS. I am getting some good sounds, especially with the mids turned down, as someone recently suggested, (great great tip, thankyou). However I struggle to get the thing to sound bright enough on channel 2. I figure things are not quite right if I need the mid control almost on zero, the bass way down and the treble almost all the way up to keep the mud at bay, (this is with a Strat fitted with Kinman Woodstock plus pickups)...... I decided to investigate how the stock speakers affect the tone. I dragged in my old Marshall 4x10 from the shed and connected it up. It has 4 Celestion G10L-35 speakers in it. With this speaker cab the amp sounded really very good, brighter and smoother, and just better, (sound is hard to describe), and the amp sounds great at lots of different gain settings and generally seems less fussy as to how the controls are set. I am now thinking of replacing the speakers in the amp. Has anyone else replaced speakers in an LSS? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Has anyone tried Celestion Century neos or similar? It would be great to take some of the weight away from the amp by using light weight neos, but the tone is more important.

Thanks.

tom

Two things helped me clean up the bottom end of my LSS and get the amp brighter:

1) Reeder mod on Channel two

2) Changing the speakers in my 2x12 cab to Celestion Blues.

I can recommend changing valves to JJEL84, cost $66 Australian and was as easy as changing a light bulb. (Not my idea it came off this fantastic forum.)

Interestingly it impacted channel 2 more than channel 1, that is it brought them more into line with each other. Overall improved the EQ of the amp, more high mids and less top end shrill) although I think my old valves were on the way out after 3 and a bit years.

I don't know muh about speaker voicing etc. What is consdered an improvement over the stock speaker and what parameters make it so?

Well a quick update: I was just playing with the amp, switched it over to the 5 watt setting, and no sound. I guessed an output tube had blown. (I bought the amp just over a year ago second hand and revalved it with JJ tubes btw). I just put the Harma EL84s it came with back in, and not only is the 5W setting back up and running, but the amp is brighter and sounding very good. I guess the tubes fade as they age, and any deteriation in the highs is so gradual that you just don't notice untill things really become very muddy. Is one year about right for the output valves before they need replacing?

Thanks for the comments. Would like to try a set of blues, very pricey though, so may think about a pair of vintage 30s.......

thom said:
Well a quick update: I was just playing with the amp, switched it over to the 5 watt setting, and no sound. I guessed an output tube had blown. (I bought the amp just over a year ago second hand and revalved it with JJ tubes btw). I just put the Harma EL84s it came with back in, and not only is the 5W setting back up and running, but the amp is brighter and sounding very good. I guess the tubes fade as they age, and any deteriation in the highs is so gradual that you just don't notice untill things really become very muddy. Is one year about right for the output valves before they need replacing?
It really depends on the number of hours they are played and the volumes at which they are played, but the tone and volume do degrade gradually until you realize something's different. I think I read somewhere that 1,500 to 2,000 hours is a reasonable expectation for tube life.

I think there was no sound in the 5 watt setting because there isn't a 5 watt setting, lol. :p

Latest posts

Back