Why All The Noise??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishcomedy

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12 combo. My main two electric guitars are a Fender 50's Series Telecaster and a Hamer Californian Elite. I have shielded both guitars with copper and potted the pickups on the Tele. My amp and all pedals are running into a Furman SS-6B power conditioner that has EMI/RF noise attenuation. My pedals run into a Voodoo Labs PP2+. So why am I having issues with noise?

1. I sometimes get radio signals through my amp
2. I pickup a lot of noise when playing too closely to my computer or other electronics
3. My amp pops when I turn my ceiling fan off.
4. My amp makes a light intermittent crackling staticy sound when the guitar is plugged in and volume all the way up using both guitars, on both channels, loop on or off, and out of different outlets. The amp has recently been serviced with all tubes swapped for new. The tech didn't have the problem at his shop or so he says. If you listen closely it sounds like a small campfire in the amp.

I used to play unshielded guitars through an efx processor into a power amp and never had issues. I thought I was upgrading

Obviously your questions are somewhat baffling due to the responses your getting. I did pick up on one thing you said. About, this didn't happen with another rig. I have a powered mixer thats 20 some years old that picks up radio stations. I Got a separate mixer(old)/power amp (new) and no more problem. So there is an inequality between the 2 different set ups. The fan pop thing happens to my PA when my Swampcooler A/C kicks in still. That might be an indication of antiquated wiring in my house. I played a party at this guys house on the back patio, I could'nt use any gain without 60 cycle hum. It was so bad I couldn't use hardly any gain at all. His lights were mainly the cause and of course the house wiring/grounding. Does all this noise exist when nothing is plugged in and the amps on. Thinking guitar & cable. When I introduce gain, my amp gets white noise. Single coils also are troublesome. I've also noticed on this board alot of used amps having issues. As if they had been abused. Just some random thoughts on all this. It would seem that the bug may be in both/all the areas of the chain. Encouraging huh.

Yeah my strat does the noise thing when its near a computer, but I've noticed that my lonestar is considerably quieter when I play without the pedalboard; I can crank the gain and drive maxed and no noise with the guitar direct and keep in mind my studio monitors get god awful 60 cycle hum that I can't get rid and still the amp is quiet. The pedals have always caused problems for me, particularly compressors, but anything plugged in, in general.

Try bypassing your pedalboard and plug your pedals in one by one. Keep in mind if your pedals are daisy chained on the power jacks, even if you take them out of the audio loop the hum is usually there.

The hum and crackling like campfire stuff is either just the noise being gained up or a tube that has become very microphonic, I'd try swapping them if you have some good working spares.

Best of luck to you, just try those pedals and possibly new tubes in the V1 and V2 as well as V5.

~ Sean

polishcomedy said:
I have a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12 combo. My main two electric guitars are a Fender 50's Series Telecaster and a Hamer Californian Elite. I have shielded both guitars with copper and potted the pickups on the Tele. My amp and all pedals are running into a Furman SS-6B power conditioner that has EMI/RF noise attenuation. My pedals run into a Voodoo Labs PP2+. So why am I having issues with noise?

1. I sometimes get radio signals through my amp
2. I pickup a lot of noise when playing too closely to my computer or other electronics
3. My amp pops when I turn my ceiling fan off.
4. My amp makes a light intermittent crackling staticy sound when the guitar is plugged in and volume all the way up using both guitars, on both channels, loop on or off, and out of different outlets. The amp has recently been serviced with all tubes swapped for new. The tech didn't have the problem at his shop or so he says. If you listen closely it sounds like a small campfire in the amp.

I used to play unshielded guitars through an efx processor into a power amp and never had issues. I thought I was upgrading

Is it plugged into a grounded outlet?

Back