LSC Tube Recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemesys

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my LSC (2x12 combo) for almost a year, and the stock tubes are starting to develop some crackling noises here and there, so it's getting to be time to retube. The amp tends to have a bit too much upper midrange that can't be dialed out, as the tone stack is Fender style, with the mid control centered around the lower midrange. I changed the speakers to Weber Californias, which does help with that somewhat. However, I have been thinking that perhaps new tubes are the next thing to try, and I am wondering if anyone here has experienced this same issue and found a tube combination that sounds good, or has any other recommendations (a setting that might not be intuitive, for example).

nemesys said:
Hi all,

I've had my LSC (2x12 combo) for almost a year, and the stock tubes are starting to develop some crackling noises here and there, so it's getting to be time to retube. The amp tends to have a bit too much upper midrange that can't be dialed out, as the tone stack is Fender style, with the mid control centered around the lower midrange. I changed the speakers to Weber Californias, which does help with that somewhat. However, I have been thinking that perhaps new tubes are the next thing to try, and I am wondering if anyone here has experienced this same issue and found a tube combination that sounds good, or has any other recommendations (a setting that might not be intuitive, for example).

These are mid heavy amps, however where things are affected by the tone control does vary depending on settings (as you have probably found). That low mid hump really happens in the "thicker" setting, but in the "thick" setting that is raised a bit. I think a lot of folks on this board tend towards the thick setting for this reason, but I have to admit that I have some guitars and songs where I want more low mid grind and I switch to that in those situations. It also depends the guitar you use. Les Pauls already have a bit more midrange to the overall tone so that is a factor.

The other issue here is tubes and I am still experimenting in this department. I was using E34Ls but have found the need to severly dial back lows and mids to get a balanced tone so I am actually going to try 6L6s again. With a Les Paul it just seems that there is just way to much mid range and low end that I struggle to deal with. A P90 equiped PRS gives me the opposite so I tend to bump the mids and switch to the thicker setting on that guitar. Either way I like JJ Tesla tubes. There is just a nice, woody quality to the tone.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks for the reply! :)

This is actually an upper-midrange sort of thing that occurs more in the clean channel than in the second channel, which doesn't have the voicing option. Channel 2 on this amp is actually easier to dial in, I've found. I actually quite like the thick setting, it has a very nice early-Marshall vibe.

With the JJs that you like, are you referring to preamp or power tubes?

nemesys said:
Thanks for the reply! :)

This is actually an upper-midrange sort of thing that occurs more in the clean channel than in the second channel, which doesn't have the voicing option. Channel 2 on this amp is actually easier to dial in, I've found. I actually quite like the thick setting, it has a very nice early-Marshall vibe.

With the JJs that you like, are you referring to preamp or power tubes?

Both pre-amp and power tubes. The guys at Eurotubes have sets specifically biased for these amps. They are great to work with as well.

Honestly I run the mids on both channels really low these days (below 9:00 for sure). I just like that way things blend better and when channel 2 is cranked everything seems to thicken out considerably anyway.

I honestly am thinking of getting a quartet of 6L6s to experiment with anyway just to see what they feel like. They might work better with one band I play with anyway.

Mark

eq settings aside, i use tung-sol (new sensor) preamp tubes & an ev classic speaker in mine: sounds great to me. Even having a tung-sol in v1 only makes a lot of difference: great tubes.

peace.

nemesys said:
Hi all,

boogiemon said:
eq settings aside, i use tung-sol (new sensor) preamp tubes & an ev classic speaker in mine: sounds great to me. Even having a tung-sol in v1 only makes a lot of difference: great tubes.

peace.

I have a couple of Tung-Sol 12AX7s hanging around; I'll have to try this. Thanks!

Mid range huh.... The better the the tube (V1) the more pronounced the mids becomes. I too have been dealing with this mid range thing. As if the clean ch seems to be a one trick pony. Mixing speakers is helpful. My webers seem to have some of that under control. Using an ext. cab, unpluging one of the C-90's, allowing the webers to get the better of the mix. Then unplugging one of the webers etc. I am also using a bbe stomp which raises the highs and lows which also helps. All this can put a dent in the mids. Maybe a EQ pedal can do some damage? :D

I've noticed the same thing, that the Webers do help with the midrange. I experimented for a while yesterday, and found that I could dial some more of it out by running the presence at 3:00 or so, and backing the treble off to 11:00. I did try a Tung-Sol in V1, but I couldn't hear a lot of difference. I wonder if a lower-gain tube, like a 12AY7 or a 5751, would be a good choice in that position?

Yeah, thats what I'm doing to get clean headroom. As gain is introduced generally speaking, the mids stand out while the highs get compressed and lows go toward muddy. So a lower gain v1 helps. I also run my presence up high.

I tried a new EH 12AY7 and an old JAN/Philips 5751 in V1 last night. I didn't really like the 5751, it added midrange if anything. The 12AY7 sounded great, though. Nice, balanced midrange. The amp isn't very loud anymore, and doesn't break up at all, even the second channel stays clean with the gain and drive maxed. Definitely on the right track, now!

Ha, alot people would cry if they couldn't get their LS's to break up anymore. Surely you exaggerate.

Edit: maybe not, just looked em up. 44% of a 12ax7. I'm using a 12at7=60%.

Finally got it where I want it -- 12AX7 back in the first position, channel 1 gain at 10:00, treble at 10:00, mids off, bass at 10:00, presence at 3:00. I was running the bass too high, and extra midrange was being dumped in.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Back