Reverb creates noise? Amp noisy in general?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishcomedy

Reaction score
Hey, I noticed as soon as I kick in some reverb I get a lot of noise, especially a low hum. The more I crank the worse it gets. Is this normal? I'm using an MXR smartgate, but I still deal with a bit of noise from this amp. Anyone else? I changed my pedal order a couple of times, and it doesn't seem to solve anything. I'm using 3" high quality cables, and a Visual Sound One Spot to power them. When I plug straight into the amp I also get noise. I used to play through a rack setup and it was completely noise free, just didn't think the sound was what I wanted. This amp and pedals has the sound I want, but the noise is getting on my nerves big time. One thing I hate is when I have the noise gate pedal engaged and I play really soft notes you hear the note, then some nasty noise following it, and then the gate shuts 'em off (although still lets other noise through).

I'm a total novice at recording, but is there a way to gate out the nasty noise with software? How do people record with noisy amps but get such clean recordings? Does anyone else experience what I do with this amp?

I'm inclined to think it's a ground loop... though I've never heard one that went up and down with the reverb before.

What pedals are you using and in which order (also detail which pedals are in the FX loop).

And have you tried plugging strait in with all your pedals unplugged (including those in the FX loop)? Did you still get this reverb hum?

screamingdaisy said:
I'm inclined to think it's a ground loop... though I've never heard one that went up and down with the reverb before.

What pedals are you using and in which order (also detail which pedals are in the FX loop).

And have you tried plugging strait in with all your pedals unplugged (including those in the FX loop)? Did you still get this reverb hum?

When I plug straight into the amp the reverb still has the noise. My signal is guitar --> Barber Tone Press --> Visual Volume (with Boss TU-2 plugged into tuner out) --> Bad Horsie 2 --> Digitech Whammy IV --> T.C. Electronic Stereo Chorus --> MXR smartgate --> Lonestar. FX Send --> Boss DD-3 --> FX Return.

The ground loop thing could actually be my house because I have a problem with my high end stereo equipment producing gross noise, too, especially with my subwoofer hooked up. Ugh, I hate noise!

Definitely not normal.

1. check reverb cable connections or anything physical that could cause this (e.g. grasping the reverb pouch and shaking it up a bit to loosen it from the cabinet)

2. try replacing the reverb tube/any other suspect preamp tube

3. try the amp from a different power source or invest in a power conditioner

Mork said:
Why don't you run the chorus through the loop?

Because the signal getting sent to it is too hot for the T.C. the overload light on the pedal is almost continuous in the red when I put it there.

polishcomedy said:
Mork said:

Because the signal getting sent to it is too hot for the T.C. the overload light on the pedal is almost continuous in the red when I put it there.

Use the Send Level control to adjust the signal being sent from the loop send to any external devices in the loop, and you should be able to avoid this problem. That's what it's there for, after all...

A surge protector won't clean or purify the power, so not really. I'd try another power source first, though, and see if that changes anything. Maybe try it at a rehersal space or at a friends house?

I think the manual for my old Pig (~2004) incorrectly advises using a SPEAKER cable (e.g., unsheilded) for the reverb pedal, which for a long time I never bothered to dig around for... but once I finally did, and I noticed immediately that an unsheilded cable in this position makes things really noisy, in fact exactly in the way you describe. Make sure you're using a shielded cable for your reverb pedal.

Of course, if you aren't using a pedal, this is a non-factor...

Octavarius said:
polishcomedy said:
Mork said:

Use the Send Level control to adjust the signal being sent from the loop send to any external devices in the loop, and you should be able to avoid this problem. That's what it's there for, after all...

A surge protector won't clean or purify the power, so not really. I'd try another power source first, though, and see if that changes anything. Maybe try it at a rehersal space or at a friends house?

If I set the send level to zero the T.C. overload light will still light up occasionally, and obviously, it kills all my tone having no volume going through there. I prefer to have it in the front and then crank my fx send to about 2.

I tried a couple of other power sources and it didn't fix the problem. I'll have to take it somewhere else. To the other guy, I don't have a reverb pedal. There's no plug for one, either. I didn't know any of the lonestars had that option.

Sounds like your house is buzzing with 60cycle hum. Do you have this problem in different places like practice or gigs?

plan-x said:
Sounds like your house is buzzing with 60cycle hum. Do you have this problem in different places like practice or gigs?

I've only used the amp at practice a couple of times, and at one gig. The first practice was noisy, but then the 2nd wasn't. I don't remember what it was like live. I need to pay more attention. One thing I didn't realize was how much noise the reverb was contributing. I think even with crappy house wiring the reverb should be independent of that. Like I said, my home stereo has noise issues, too. Someone on another forum recommended a Furman SS-6B. You think that might cure it?

Addressing the low hum you are getting with the reverb, I had the same problem and found the culprit to be the preamp tube in V4. I believe someone in another post mentioned using a Chinese tube in that position and it does eliminate it. If you want to stick with Mesa tubes, keep trying different ones until you find one that reduces the hum to a level you can live with. I actually ended up with a Mesa 12ax7 that does not hum at all. As far as any other noise, I would lean toward your power supply as the issue especially if you are using a daisy chain. I'm using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and have no noise to speak of from my pedal board. The other thing to consider is if you are running a delay or a modulation like chorus into the front of the amp. Placing my delay in the effects loop took care of a hissing problem I was dealing with.

SonOfIAm said:
Addressing the low hum you are getting with the reverb, I had the same problem and found the culprit to be the preamp tube in V4. I believe someone in another post mentioned using a Chinese tube in that position and it does eliminate it. If you want to stick with Mesa tubes, keep trying different ones until you find one that reduces the hum to a level you can live with. I actually ended up with a Mesa 12ax7 that does not hum at all. As far as any other noise, I would lean toward your power supply as the issue especially if you are using a daisy chain. I'm using a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+ and have no noise to speak of from my pedal board. The other thing to consider is if you are running a delay or a modulation like chorus into the front of the amp. Placing my delay in the effects loop took care of a hissing problem I was dealing with.

I'll try the tube thing. The pedals aren't really adding much noise, just a little from the Barber Tone Press. Remember, even when I plug straight in with no pedals I'm having the problem. From what I've read most people say the One Spot is quiet and doesn't pose any problems. I picked up a Furman SS-6B, which has EMI/RFI noise attenuation. It did not help at all.

Guitar? (tried a different one?)
Cable? (same comment)
Ground lift? (I use a ton of those things) (call me stupid, but haven't been electrocuted yet)
And you did admit it didn't do it everwhere you've played. Maybe a different room at your crib.

Latest posts

Back