lonestar or not to lonestar; that is the question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

askme28

Reaction score
I am going to buy my first Mesa Boogie amp this week. However, could someone tell me why I would want a Lonestar as opposed to a Express 5:50 1x12?
All feedback will be greatly appreciated

askme28 said:
I am going to buy my first Mesa Boogie amp this week. However, could someone tell me why I would want a Lonestar as opposed to a Express 5:50 1x12?
All feedback will be greatly appreciated

it's all subjective of course, but the lonestar (classic, i assume) is a more versatile amp. i don't think it's got quite as much gain as the Express, but it does much more & has a more vintage vibe to it as well as more watts/headroom.

Versitility. If you don't play live you might be happy with the Express. Just make sure you try them both rather than buy one and always wonder about the other.

Agreed... Definitely play both to see which one you like best. I agree with the others though. The LS just has a soul to it and a vibe that can't be described. I played through an Express at my local shop and was not blown away. To be honest, I didn't spend much time with it though. I do think that LSS and LSC will one day be viewed as classic amps...
jw

I have the older version 50/100 LSC 2X12 and absolutely love it! My setup is a Fender American Deluxe Tele with Kinman Broadcasters or an American Deluxe V-Neck Strat with Kinman Blues pickups into a Barber LTD overdrive, Ernie Ball Volume pedal to the front of the amp; an Eventide Timefactor Delay and an ISP Decimator in the effects loop and mic'd with a Shure SM-57.

I lean toward higher gain setups so thinking I needed more gain, I picked up a Rectoverb 50 1X12 but found myself going back to and sticking with the LSC. The Rectoverb has a bit more gain and a different type of distortion but it lacked the character I find in the Lonestar. The LSC will not do metal or some of the heavier alternative stuff but it has more gain than it is given credit for.

If you are looking to stick with a specific genre and the tone of the Express does it for you, by all means get it. If you are looking for flexibility and tone, not to mention a really good reverb, the LSC is the way to go especially if you run a mild overdrive like the Barber to push it a bit more. With other overdrive pedals it can be pushed into some great, singing lead tones. BTW, John Petrucci, the last I knew, uses a Lonestar for one of his lead tones. That should say something about the amount of distortion it can achieve.

I've owned both. I happen to live in Petaluma, and have had the chance to own so many different Mesas. Like so many said here, the two amps are very different and, in the end, it is about your style, sound and playing them both. As broad generalities, the Lonestar is a more elegant and refined amp. General consensus is that is has some of the best clean tones and best reverb Mesa has ever produced. The amp is targeted at the clean to medium gain/oredrive players. that is the market it is shooting at. the Express is a lower price point model, designed to cover a wider palette, with more gain and distortion, but not as refined or stylized as the Lonestar. My personal opinion is the Express is the latest "iteration" of the Dual Caliber/DC, Nomad and F-series of Mesas- lower price point, more crunch, but not Recto, a little less personality and uniqueness. I say that in that the Mark series has a unique tone and vibe, as does the Rectifier Series, and the Lonestar. Each of those series has its fans and immediately evokes the iconic defining tone of that series. the Express doesn't.

Not to say the Express is bad. It is just designed to be more of a jack of all trades, master of none type rig. It never really clicked for me, and I had bought it just as an extra/backup amp. But, it didn't have any striking tonal vibe in any direction, and I let it go. The Lonestar was gorgeous sounding, but didn't have enough gain for me. The Lonestar clean tones were the best I have heard, equal to a Bogner Shiva (**** I wish I still had that amp).

So, start with your uses, styles and tone, then go play them both, like everyone said.

good luck,
Brent

A quick note: I find the Expresses to be a bit noisy and hissy. The LS is nice and quiet.

I think you would be REALLY REALLY disappointed later if you bought the Express and not the Lonestar if the choice is indeed between those two amps!

You don't want to have regret after dropping that much dough.....buy a Lonestar and you will be so glad you did. They are amazing for what they do!

jjboogie said:
I think you would be REALLY REALLY disappointed later if you bought the Express and not the Lonestar if the choice is indeed between those two amps!

You don't want to have regret after dropping that much dough.....buy a Lonestar and you will be so glad you did. They are amazing for what they do!

You could've not said it better! I remember longing for an Express a year ago. Now I have a Lonestar. Man, am I stoked! -Danny

If the Lonestar does get you where you need to be as far as gain, there are some great pedals out there that may help. The Lonestar, in my experience, handles distortion and overdrive pedals very well on channel 1 but channel 2 can be a little finicky. Doing the Reeder Mod is always an option and on mine has really helped and now responds very well to my Barber LTD.

Latest posts

Back