Output Up Full

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy the Massochist

Reaction score
I have found some great ideas over the last few weeks.

Principally Gain above drive and output up full.

At www.myspace/zebra3three.com is our very average demo, five songs in one night ( and yes I did not know how to do the I don't need no doctor riff, missing that one note ****). It was 45 degrees that night with the sun coming through the little guitar booth window, I could barely hold a note I was sweating so much. The clean sound sounded smokin in the studio.

End result yarrrrk. It sounds thin, brittle and too clean.

Would love to hear feedback how to improve that sound.

What I have done since after reading stuff on the board:

Overall I now have the output at 3o'clock and the maters at about 9. This seems to give the amp that glassy bouncy sound that if I can't get soon I am buying an Ulbrick amp.
Clean I have cranked the gain to 2pm and dropped the presence back to 9

Dirty I have the Gain at 12 and the Drive at 9 for more of a brown sound (which I think all I now need with the spongy bounce/glass with the output up full) and increase the treble up to 2 and backed off the presence to 9.

Really this new sound is night and day from the old sound, you would not think it was the same amp. BUT the old sound I thought was good until it was recorded (not that any time was put into it in the studio it was all about drums and vocal).

Regards

Well I had a rehearsal with my LSS yesterday with the above settings that I had only previously checked out at home levels and thought I ws onto something. OH MY.... what a revelation.

With the Drive at 12 o'clock and the gain at 9 the master at 9 and the output at 3 (because I am scared to put it to up all the way (it doesn't make much volume difference) the tele plays with bounce that is clean but it's dirty and almost glassy without the ice pick. The Les Paul pushes it over the edge and I can have the presence down to 8 or 9 .... and did I mention the sustain. Think the cleaner Kenny Wayne Sheppard kinda sounds.

The clean channel with the drive up at 1.00pm clean for the tele but brown for the les paul like an AC DC, Freddie King kinda thing.

To the dude who put the post up about the Beatles cover band that ran the output maxed out, thanks for the tip and also to thos that say Drive above the Gain.

I am now almost there with my sound I just need an eq pedal to manage swapping guitars although I may be able to set channel 1 up eqd for the Les Paul for a dirty sound (that with the lower output tele will be a clean sound) and channel 2 to be the tele brown sound and hard rock for the Les Paul (but it will need an eq pedal).

I cannot recommend enough that you experiment with the above. I have gone back to the Loop in and loop gain at 1-2. Using the solo output at absolute full tilt there is only a very slight volume change and a very slight amount of extra gain and it does not even matter. It is now a completely different overall sound and vibe. I HAVE HIT THE SWEET SPOT!

It now sounds like a AU$4,000 professional rig.

I don't know if it means I will be burning through tubes but after 3 years of constant improvement on the sound and endless frustration of almost being there this is a quantum leap. It is a bit loud and turning the master volumes back towards 8 I lose a bit of the vibe and bounce but it keeps the band happy. (I also tried it with the Master up to 12 with the output at 3 it was great (you need to bring the highs back but it was hurting my ears in the rehearsal studio)

Blu Pig man I will check out the my space link thing but really the sound on that is now a joke compared to what I am pulling now.

Yee hah!

I tried this setting out with my Strat, I really liked it, I had to mess with the gain and everything else, but once I got it dialed in it was just as you say, nice and glassy sounding. I'm going to keep it like this for awhile. For this experiment I went back to 4 6L6 tubes, with the gain channel at 50 watts and the clean at 100 watts. Masters were both around 9:00, Output was at 4:00. I haven't tried this out with the 6V6/EL84 combination.

@ Leroy the Massochist,
Yes. Output cranked. Gives you back the thunk and shimmer.
More like the sounds coming up through the floor or something(hard to describe)
Ive spent time with Ulbrick amps. Love them. Will own a fat 50. But my LSC does what I want now after tweaking it for a while. Seems like we are chasing a similar sound.
I now grin when Im playing through my LS :D

Latest posts

Back