Do you guys elevate your amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishcomedy

Reaction score
I have the 2x12 combo LS. I'm about to have my first gig with it and am wondering if it's better to keep it on the ground, or to get a table or something to put it on so I have easier access to the controls and stuff. I don't want to lose bass response, but I'm not sure it'll matter if it's being mic'd. What do you guys do?

For me, it really depends on the sound of the room and stage. Sometimes, my LSS sounds better on a chair and sometimes flat on the stage. Another factor for me is the depth of the stage and how close I am to my amp. If I am real close to my amp, I usually raise it.

I use an amp stand. It's banked, top about waist high or so, sounds better, makes sense to me....

I've always left mine on the floor because it's so heavy, but lately I've been turning it around to face the wall to get the sound to spread out a bit better.

Do the casters count as elevation? :lol:

On a stage, I usually leave it on the floor, but on "crowded" shows, like when I'm performing with a bigband, I try to elevate it, so that the sound doesn't get mushed by all the chairs/stands and .. people playing in front of me.

Yes I sit mine on a chair, even if I'm on a high stage. I like to be able to hear myself clearly and also be able to see the amp settings.

Before I put in a Weber Beam Blocker I used to pop off the back casters and the amp would lean back nicely allowing me to better hear what was really coming out. It also help keep that bass response reflecting off the floor, something you lose when it's on a stand.

If the floor vibrates do not put it on the floor. Other than that the cab was designed to be on the floor not raised or tilted back. If you listen to the amp this ways you well get a much better and fuller tone with the amp on the floor. You also need to remove the casters for this to work right. Most important is you do not believe me. Because right now you think I am full of crap. But to prove me wrong you need to try this ???? The sound well not be a lot different right by the amp. You need to be 10/20 feet away. Best not to be in the beam (directly in front of the speaker. If you take it upon yourself to improve your sound please post here so others well know you also are full of crap ??? :mrgreen:

polishcomedy said:
I have the 2x12 combo LS. I'm about to have my first gig with it and am wondering if it's better to keep it on the ground, or to get a table or something to put it on so I have easier access to the controls and stuff. I don't want to lose bass response, but I'm not sure it'll matter if it's being mic'd. What do you guys do?

I set the thing back, still on the casters, as far back against the a wall as possible, mic it and go. I used to have a set back stand that got it up to waist high, but getting it there was a pain, plus one of the last times I did it, the handle strap broke (no ****...Mesa replaced it, but...) and the amp went face down on a concrete floor. They make em tough so everything is cool, but it was freaky. So I stopped doing that. Not only for that reason (it took up space on stage, didn't seem to help all that much, etc.).

Has anyone tried the Standback stand? I am looking at it, but it would probably require caster removal which sounds like a pain in the behind. Thoughts?

You have to keep in mind that when you listen to the amp straight-on (like the audience does when the stage is high) you here more highs. If you listen to the amp from the side, you hear much more lows. Many guitarists tend to then dial in more highs. This ends up sounding great on stage and like crap to the audience.

Read this... It explains it in detail...

http://www.egnateramps.com/TechTalk/TechTalk102.html

-Danny

creekhed said:
I use an amp stand and point the amp at me from THE FRONT of the stage (unless I'm not mic'd)

That's exactly how I do it. I think that this putting it on the floor is way overrated. I cannot tell a difference either way, as far as bass response is concerned.

Are you less than 10 - 15 feet from the amp. ....and if it is pointed at you putting it on the floor well make little difference in the low end / tone. It is more about the tone everyone in the room hears...... If you are not worried about the tone others hear from you ~ there is much less of need to try this. :mrgreen:

stephen sawall said:
Are you less than 10 - 15 feet from the amp

Yep

stephen sawall said:
and if it is pointed at you putting it on the floor well make little difference in the low end / tone. It is more about the tone everyone in the room hears...... If you are not worried about the tone others hear from you ~ there is much less of need to try this. :mrgreen:

I have a shure SM 57 hooked up to it going through the PA....so again I have no NEED to set it on the floor. I cannot hear it there anyway, because I stand up most of the time and would have to turn it up too much just to hear it.

The audience hears it through the PA, but most people in the audience could not tell the difference anyway, so I don't get this whole "put it on the floor" thing!

That is like expecting the audience to know the difference between a PRS, strat or les paul sound....all they care about is if it sounds good. And mine does.

If most of your sound is coming from the PA / mike you are right. That changes everything......most of the places I play at hold less than 500 people. I tend to run my rig about as loud as the drummer. A big part of my sound is coming from my rig into the room. It sounds like you use your amp more like a monitor. I have done that and prefer doing it the other way.

stephen sawall said:
It sounds like you use your amp more like a monitor. I have done that and prefer doing it the other way.

Yes, I prefer using mine as a monitor. Different strokes!

And I see no reason to run it high levels when I simply don't have to.

Now outdoors is another story, but indoors when I got a good PA, why should my amp do most of the work?

So I just use mine for a monitor and let the PA do the brunt of the sound projection into the crowd.

It is just a tone preference. There are a lot of ways to control and get a live sound. Some work better for some people .... I find it best to know how to use a few ways. That is to say know what your gear can do.... Not all gigs are the same. This just gives you more options. :wink:

Back