Another LSS channel 2 mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianf

Reaction score
Hi folks. I had to take my LSS in for warrenty today. The reveb was not working.

Anyway I showed the tech the Reeder mod for channel 2 and he was not sure if this was only for LSC vrs LSS. The pot numbers on a LSS are different than quoted on the sticky.

He then asked what my goal was and what I expected to achieve. I said that the only way for me to get a half decent tone out of channel 2 was to have the presence and treble dimed and even then the amp sounded muddy.

We plugged in and tried some guitars and he said yup, I see what you mean.

He then placed a 250 mf cap on the gain pot from the input side to the center lug. ****. Nice and bright now.

Any thoughts from you folks???

Thanks

brianf

I have heard of that, not around here. Thats pretty cool. What the Reeder mod will do is give you an exact clone of ch 1. And it's supossed to work the same on both LSS/LSC. Your numbers were different? Are you the original owner?

I did Reeder mod on my LSS and found the pot numbers to be as shown in the diagram. The mod worked fine but I ended up going back to stock after I changed out the Mesa tubes for JJs and installed a Weber Beam Blocker. I'm looking for more of that darker EJ tone which is a bit tricky on an LSS but much easier on a LSC.

Sounded like that cap is commonly known as a 'bright cap', pretty common on some fender's bright channel. What it does is it passes the hight frequency, the cap value determines the cutoff freq. So basically he is filtering out the low freq. Without doing the mod if bass is the issue then you can try just rolling off the bass knob or for more control place an eq in the fx loop and roll of the low freq.
Ask your tech to explain what it does to be sure.

dougn said:
I did Reeder mod on my LSS and found the pot numbers to be as shown in the diagram. The mod worked fine but I ended up going back to stock after I changed out the Mesa tubes for JJs and installed a Weber Beam Blocker. I'm looking for more of that darker EJ tone which is a bit tricky on an LSS but much easier on a LSC.

I agree that the JJ tubes make a big difference overall. As I mentioned in other threads, the tube change, plus running my drive higher then the gain really changed things. I actually ended up turning the treble and presence down some to match things. I do have a LS classic though and I have no idea what the special would do. Specials are...ah...special and I struggled to find my sound with ones I have played.

Mark

Back