Converting a combo to a head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneguy86

Reaction score
I have read some posts where people have pulled the head, put it into a seperate head cab and either modified the remaining combo cab somehow or used another external. Man...after hauling the blue pig up and down countless stairs and onto stages, etc. etc. I am tempted. Does Mesa sell seperate head cabs? Any other source?

Mark

I also have been hauling "the pig" around myself, and am on the hunt for an alternative. I know that the chassis will fit the head cab, but is there a smaller combo alternative? I have read that the Classic chassis and spkr will fit a Lonestar Special combo cab, but from reading the specs there doesnt seem to be much difference. Any suggestions anyone?

Going from a Lonestar Combo (1x12") to the Lonestar Special Combo (1x12") won't save your back. Mesas are heavy amps-complex chassis, quality construction, and oversized combos make them really heavy. Mesa will sell you a head cab and an unloaded cab for your conversion but it will cost a ton. You could always try to find someone to trade with.

powermatt99 is right, the special 1X12 combo is still heavy enough- I put my back out last week lifting it into my truck and I'm not a weakling!. I'm going the head/cab route also. I've bought the head, now looking for a speaker.

powermatt99 said:
Going from a Lonestar Combo (1x12") to the Lonestar Special Combo (1x12") won't save your back. Mesas are heavy amps-complex chassis, quality construction, and oversized combos make them really heavy. Mesa will sell you a head cab and an unloaded cab for your conversion but it will cost a ton. You could always try to find someone to trade with.

Any ideas on how much a "ton" might be? It might be worth it.

Mark

I've also thought it. I chose the combo because of the thought of it being compact and in one piece and all that, but the weight is unreal and in contrary to Monk, I am a weakling. So carrying it generally, by the handle isn't even an option for me. :lol:

A empty headsheel and speaker shell form Mesa here would be economically destructive, not to mention practically impossible to arrange. However, one could go the custom made-route and have a short headshell made for it, perhaps. Like this one:

IMG_0807.jpg

Or even a short/compact 1x12" combo like this one:

PRS-0268052.jpg

These could perhaps even be ordered from Mesa, if you have the money, but I'm considering talking to George (gts) and see if he could make me a short Lonestar head. They're basically the same dimensions as the Mark cabs, only with a slightly different front, which one could measure. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I already have a EV 12L loaded thiele made by him, so I'm strongly considering it.

Octavarius said:
I've also thought it. I chose the combo because of the thought of it being compact and in one piece and all that, but the weight is unreal and in contrary to Monk, I am a weakling. So carrying it generally, by the handle isn't even an option for me. :lol:

A empty headsheel and speaker shell form Mesa here would be economically destructive, not to mention practically impossible to arrange. However, one could go the custom made-route and have a short headshell made for it, perhaps. Like this one:

These could perhaps even be ordered from Mesa, if you have the money, but I'm considering talking to George (gts) and see if he could make me a short Lonestar head. They're basically the same dimensions as the Mark cabs, only with a slightly different front, which one could measure. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I already have a EV 12L loaded thiele made by him, so I'm strongly considering it.

You mentiod George...does he make cabinets? Anyone else know of other options (i.e. people who specialize in cabinets that fit a Lonestar head, etc.?

Mark

I actually converted my LSC 2x12 Combo into a Head. I found a guy who was selling an empty Lonestar head cabinet. I'm very happy I did it. I think the head over cab looks cooler than the combo. Plus, it's a lighter load to carry 2 pieces in 2 separate trips, than an entire pig in one trip. I'm still in the process of getting the 2x12 cabinet for it, but so far I'm very happy.

The head cabinet I got is the long one - the 27" It's easier to find this one than the short head pictured above. The one above would be easier to carry obviously. There's less air space inside, so if you live in a very hot climate, heat might be an issue.

-D

Keep in mind that oftentimes the actual weight is not the issue. It's the combination of weight and size. I bet any of you guys can easily carry 100lbs, if it fits easily in your arms. The problem with the combos is the weight AND the size. The heads are not lightweight. They are heavy too. But, the fact that you can easily hold it with both hands and carry it against your chest makes the world of a difference.

-D

toneguy86 said:
Octavarius said:

You mentiod George...does he make cabinets? Anyone else know of other options (i.e. people who specialize in cabinets that fit a Lonestar head, etc.?

Mark

Yes, George makes cabinets. He's one of the best people around, actually. Definitely one of the best cabinet makers I've ever known. He made me these:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30832

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30708

So far, I think he only does Mark and Thiele/Compact 1x12 cabs to Mesa spec, but I imagine a Lonestar shorthead wouldn't be that much of a stretch. In height, width and depth it's practically identical (although I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't measured, but the difference would certainly not be that big), except for the panel front and that the grille is a bit more flushed to compensate for the flat front panel vs. the slanted front panel of the Marks. If one measured the Lonestar front precisely, I'd guess it's no problem for him to make one. :D

He can do stuff like included reverb tank and fan as well, in addition to all the hardware, etc.

Octavarius said:

IMG_0807.jpg

Or even a short/compact 1x12" combo like this one:

PRS-0268052.jpg

The Lone Star combo is absolutely stunning!

Octavarius said:
toneguy86 said:
Octavarius said:

Mark

Yes, George makes cabinets. He's one of the best people around, actually. Definitely one of the best cabinet makers I've ever known. He made me these:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30832

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30708

So far, I think he only does Mark and Thiele/Compact 1x12 cabs to Mesa spec, but I imagine a Lonestar shorthead wouldn't be that much of a stretch. In height, width and depth it's practically identical (although I'm not 100% sure, since I haven't measured, but the difference would certainly not be that big), except for the panel front and that the grille is a bit more flushed to compensate for the flat front panel vs. the slanted front panel of the Marks. If one measured the Lonestar front precisely, I'd guess it's no problem for him to make one. :D

He can do stuff like included reverb tank and fan as well, in addition to all the hardware, etc.

Amazing stuff. What does he charge? Is it less then the cabs from Mesa?

Mark

It's really never been mentioned here but you could get a carpenter or Garage hobbiest to copy the combo's dimensions minus the speaker cab part. I'm sure it would be cheaper than what mesa would charge.

plan-x said:
I'm sure it would be cheaper than what mesa would charge.

I've got a good idea, why doesn't someone call Mesa and ask them! :D

Mesa charges a little under $400 for a standard black LS Head Cab. The price goes up if you add colors.

Compared to what we pay for Mesa gear in the UK, that to me is a steal! If I could've bought a headshell for 400 bucks I'd have paid it, then sold the old combo shell on ebay for $400 to someone who wanted to to convert their headshell into a combo! Oh the irony.....
My used Lonestar Classic head 10/50/100 has cost me $1700 at todays exchange rate, and that was a good price! Lucky for me my Lonestar Special will pay for it.

Mork said:
Compared to what we pay for Mesa gear in the UK, that to me is a steal! If I could've bought a headshell for 400 bucks I'd have paid it, then sold the old combo shell on ebay for $400 to someone who wanted to to convert their headshell into a combo! Oh the irony.....
My used Lonestar Classic head 10/50/100 has cost me $1700 at todays exchange rate, and that was a good price! Lucky for me my Lonestar Special will pay for it.

All you really need to do is keep your eye out for them on eBay. Buy it used for about $250-$300 and pay $75-$100 for shipping and you're well within ballpark.

Mind you, they are VERY rare. The combo shells are more common obviously. -D

toneguy86 said:
Amazing stuff. What does he charge? Is it less then the cabs from Mesa?

Mark

I think a std. Mark shorthead is about $225 and a 1x12" Thiele cab $250. Something like that. Mine were a bit more expensive because of all the extra stuff we added in.

My 2x12 is a nice 90 Lbs in the road case. but the road cased amp is a lot easier to move around and manage.
I can say this for the weight - they are built tuff. Mine fell off the truck tailgate at the first gig I used it at- landing
head down. It was in the road case so no physical exterior damage occured. But I wondered if the darn thing would
work once I got the rig set up to play that night. Sure enough...it fired up and has never shown the slightes sign of a hiccup in 4 years I've had it. When I get to the point where I am too much of a weakling to lift it into the truck I'll probably
buy an enclosed trailer...which loads a lot easier than a truck...OR I'll sell it and get and order an amp/cab set up.

Back