Lonestar + Compression?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishcomedy

Reaction score
I understand that to get that twangy pop you hear from country guitarists you need to use a compression pedal. However, the if you turn the gain knob past 12, boost the treble, bass and presence, and effect loop volume, and lower the mid you get a pretty darn twangy pop. Would a compression pedal really be necessary? Will I notice a difference? I'm looking at the Barber Tone Press. I understand that it will also get me more sustain on the lightly distorted tones. How do you guys feel about compressors, and are they really necessary with this particular amp?

I would agree. You don't need a comp. We just gas for one. I've noticed the LSC has great sustain. As for clean chicken picken
04_pugs_guitar-1.jpg

it does a good job, but a comp can take it over the top.

I was going to get a Barber Tone Press, but ended up with a Keeley. I love it. Works really well with the Lonestar.

A compressor is a very subtle effect. (Most of the time). You either like the extra bit of spice, or you don't. But, for the most part you don't need it. Sometimes it can be that extra ingredient in the soup that brings it to 5 star level.

I found that the Lonestar has way too much natural compression already so IMO you don't need one. However you can use compression as an effect to color your tone. I use it to get the sustain (like Santana, not sure if he uses one though) but I couldn't get use to using it for control the dynamic, it just feels dead to me.

I use a Barber Tone Press to pull a little more sustain and body out of my Strat. When I play my Les Paul it's not necessary.

I wouldn't use a compressor other than the Tone Press or similar because of the blend feature. I don't like to hear the compressor color the tone too much.

Back