New Boogie User Lonestar Questions..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceantracks

Reaction score
Well I've kind of listened to a lot of amps lately. I grew up with most of the usual suspects and now use amps for studio work only. After doing a lot of listening, I started getting curious about MESA. I have had very little experience with MESA, always thinking of them as hard rock amps. I do play rock, but more of what I do is pop based, or alternative, not out and out heavy rock or metal. I need great cleans, and some nice edge. For some reason I had overlooked the Lonestar, thinking it was supposedly just like a big Twin Reverb. I didn't know until I listened to Andy Timmons just how great this amp sounded in overdrive mode. This sounds like the PERFECT amp for me. I realize I will probably never hear it at it's best at studio levels, but maybe I'll get a Ultimate Attenuator or something, or just run it in it's low wattage mode.

I am wondering what you guys think of using a 2*12 Mesa Rectifier cab with it like he does, and if so if there is anything I need to know about either the amp or best speaker set up....I'm getting close to ordering the amp.

Again, with all the boutique amps out there, I'm not sure why more people don't talk about Mesa amps (except for metal guys)...the company appears to put great care into their making, charges way less than boutique amps, and backs their amps with a great warranty. What's the catch? ;)

Thanks and any insight into this amp appreciated!

Tom

Us Lonestar dudes have found the amp to sound great with just about any speaker/cab combination. Some guys like webers, some like celestions etc. It almost doesn't matter. Therefore, the C90's are tough to top (designed for the LSC/LSS). The amp packs alot of bottom end, so a recto cab with V-30's is going thump like nobodys business and add some ice picks on top of that. Are you thinking head/cab? I'd recommend a lonestar cab.

plan-x said:
Us Lonestar dudes have found the amp to sound great with just about any speaker/cab combination. Some guys like webers, some like celestions etc. It almost doesn't matter. Therefore, the C90's are tough to top (designed for the LSC/LSS). The amp packs alot of bottom end, so a recto cab with V-30's is going thump like nobodys business and add some ice picks on top of that. Are you thinking head/cab? I'd recommend a lonestar cab.

Yeah I've always like heads/cabs over combos. I think because my first decent amp was blackface Bassman in the 60s;)

If something goes wrong with the amp, I can just bring the head, etc.

But I'm looking forward to this beast. All the clips I've heard of it are very impressive, sounds very versatile....

Tom

Telemaster said he got an open back Lonestar cab, called mesa and asked for a closed back, so they're sending him a closed back panel. Now he is going to have a convertible open/closed. Thats the way to do it. Open back for small venues and letting the ambience fill the room. Or maybe like for far and near dual mic placement for recording. Closed back for large venues and more aggresive tone.

I'm also curious about the 2x12 Recto cab too. I like the fact that it is smaller than the LS cab. I don't think I can use the Timmons videos as point of reference, because that dude can probably plug the LS into a 1970s AM radio and still make it sound good.

Back