Re: Extension Cab arrived

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Telemaster

Reaction score
If I can ever figure out how to embed a photo I'll do that...but in the meantime my avitar
is the best I can do.

The LS extension cab arrived last week. The guys at Mesa did a perfect job of matching my 4 yr old amp. Plan is to stack when space is tight and spread when possible.

smokin!

That's a beautiful rig! What speakers are in that ext.? Is it a 3/4 back or what. Btw, to post pics, you need a website like photo bucket (free) to down load your pics on to. Then you can copy and paste em on a forum.

I ordered it with the C90's and closed back. The cab arrived with a half back though.
So they are sending me a full back panel so I can close it up. Actually it sounds great with
dual open back cabs, stacked. The extra cab (and additonal two 12's) adds a lot of fullness to the guitar tone that wasn't there before.

Thanks for the photo paste tip.

Nice! It looks great even in the tiny photo!

Just go to photobucket.com and upload the photo there. Then, copy and paste the embed code they provide into here.

I use my own hosting because I have my own websites, but photobucket will work well. The only downside is that image links expire, so in a few months people won't be able to see it anymore.

Oh, and by the way. My empty head cabinet arrived too. It's sitting in a box behind me right now! :D

I'm planning on moving the chassis from my combo over to the head cabinet and then getting a separate 2x12 cab.

plan-x said:
Thats really wierd. Some glitch made me the author of this thread.

Well, consider yourself honored! Maybe it's a foreshadow that you are going to get an extension cab too! :lol:

Well, consider yourself honored! Maybe it's a foreshadow that you are going to get an extension cab too! :lol:
Actually I've got 2 ext cabs. :wink: I haven't even tried one of them with my pig. It sits down at the church with my other head.

plan-x said:
Actually I've got 2 ext cabs. :wink: I haven't even tried one of them with my pig. It sits down at the church with my other head.

Other head? Is it another LS? I'm curious about trying other Mesas. I've only ever had the chance to try LSCs, LSSs, Stilletos and Expresses. I want to try some Marks and Rectos. In fact I'm curious about the Nomads and the Roadsters too. I have to find a good Mesa dealer around here in San Diego. The ones I've played have all been at Guitar Center, and frankly, they don't push the brand too much so they don't carry many options.

I am surprised at how much fuller the guitars sound with the ext cab. I play a Ric 330-12 a lot and the extra cab really
brings out the lower mids on the Ric...
maybe I'm just hearing what I want to hear :lol:
my band mates said...' oh yeah...all you need is more volume' thinking I was going to be a lot louder with the cab...
but it's not a volume thing at all...same volume...more sound....
I think....

Well, you much much more air. Sound the sound is definitely fuller even at the same "volume"

Hey Telemaster, since I recently moved the chassis of my LS from the 2x12 Combo cabinet to a head cabinet I'm thinking of modifying the combo cabinet to turn it into the 2x12 speaker cab. I think it's doable. But... Could you please give me the dimensions of the 2x12 LS Extension cabinet. I want to have it be the exact same size as the original.

-Danny

Kiteboarder said:
Hey Telemaster, since I recently moved the chassis of my LS from the 2x12 Combo cabinet to a head cabinet I'm thinking of modifying the combo cabinet to turn it into the 2x12 speaker cab. I think it's doable. But... Could you please give me the dimensions of the 2x12 LS Extension cabinet. I want to have it be the exact same size as the original.

-Danny

Sure, I will try to get that posted for you over the weekend. We've got a gig tonight but I'm not using the LS tonight since
we're playing all acoustic material and will be DI'd thru the PA. The Mesa rig is in the garage and I'll in the city till about 2am tonight. From eyeballing it, it looks like it's the same size as the combo amp, but I'll measure it just to be sure.

Telemaster said:
Kiteboarder said:

-Danny

Sure, I will try to get that posted for you over the weekend. We've got a gig tonight but I'm not using the LS tonight since
we're playing all acoustic material and will be DI'd thru the PA. The Mesa rig is in the garage and I'll in the city till about 2am tonight. From eyeballing it, it looks like it's the same size as the combo amp, but I'll measure it just to be sure.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. -D

Hi Telemaster. Don't worry about the measurements. Mesa actually have them posted on their website! :oops:

The 2x12 extension cab is almost the same size as the combo 2x12, only difference being the extension cab is about an inch and a half shorter in height. With a little bit of work I can leave it at the height of the combo and just replace the front top panel (the one that has the opening for the amp's controls, replace the rear top panel (that one also has the slot opening and add a jack plate to the bottom back panel. This would be the easiest and cheapest approach. The only problem being, the overall top panel has that slight cutout at the front for easier access to the controls. I'm still trying to see what to do about that one.

The other route would be to cut the entire thing down to 18in. in height, the height of the 2x12 cab. This would be much more work though! I wouldn't need to replace the front top panel, as I can cut it down. But I still need to do something about the overall top panel with the cutout.

Hey Kiteboarder....here are the measurements....sorry to take so long in getting these to you but the graphics card in my laptop died and it's taken over a week to get it replaced.

The Mesa amp cab is (H) 19 (W) 17.5 (D) 11.5
The Mesa ext cab is (H) 17 (W) 17.5 (D) 11.5

as you can see, althought the width and depth are the same the height of the ext cab is 2 inches shorter than the amp cab.
this measurement does not account for or include casters or rubber feet...it's the actual
cab measurements.

I decided I'm not modifying the combo cab into a 2x12 speaker cab. It think it would be too much of a hassle. Mainly because of the cutout in the top panel. I thought about it, and thought about it... and measured, and measured some more... And no...

I'm just going to sell it and get a proper 2x12.

Our lead gtr player recently acquired 4 yds of black crocodile tolex from an auto trim shop and recovered both of his amps
and cabs with the tolex. he plays a Deusenberg Outlaw, which got him started on the croc tolex. took him a few days to
strip the amps and cabs, remove the old adhesive residue and recover the stuff, but it looks great. And the 4 yds of croc
tolex only ran him a small amount of cash. He got it from an auto trim shop because otherwise the smallest quantity he could order from suppliers was 50 yards. Point is....I've seen Mesa ext cabs on ebay for about half the price of ordering
a new one from Mesa. One could pick up a used blue cab and recover the whole rig to match and come out a lot less on the $$ outlay.

Latest posts

Back