Has anyone tried the Lonestar 4x10 cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babow2

Reaction score
I may have the chance to pick up a Lonestar 4x10 extension open back cab loaded with Jensen Alnico N10q's. Has anyone played through one, with any head? While I don't have my Lonestar Classic anymore, I am playing through a Heartbreaker with a great JCM800 mod, and also through a 1982 Fender Concert II head (Rivera era) that also has some serious gain mods.
I have owned an open back 4x10 in years past, but mostly have been playing through sealed 1x12 and 2x12s with V30's. My instinct tells me that the 4x10 should sound more open, rich, lush, vintage'y. However, I would love to hear someone who has played through this cabinet describe it, using all those subjective adjectives that we players use, second only to wine guys.
Thanks,
Brent

I have a Lonestar 4X10 cabinet. The words I use to describe it are: bright (but in a good way), sharp (no flubiness on the bottom end), open (when you get off axis from the cabinet it still sounds good), portable (it weights the same as a 2X12 cabinet and is smaller than a 4X12) and airy (I can't realy explain this one, the sound is just "bubbly", insert other adjectives).

I am probably going to sell my 4X10, just because I am probably going to sell my Lonestar Special since I don't play clubs any more and need something smaller (I am going to buy a small sports car).

I hope this helps.

TW

What I am trying to say is, I really love the cabinet. It really compliments the Special amps. If I could fit it in my (anticipated) sports car I would defininetly keep it. With that said, I am going to sell the cabinet and amp head, and keep my 5:25 Express 1X12 and 1X12 cabinet.

TW

On the flipside, I didn't like the 4x10 as much as an open back 2x12 that I sold it for. When I A'Bed them, I found the 2x12's a lot richer across the spectrum while the 4x10 had a high frequency spike that I couldn't dial out. I had the 4x10 for at least a year so I think the speakers were broken in as well.

My best cab so far with my LSS head, (tried 4 now) is an open back cab with two Celestion Blues. Seems like a perfect match for the sound I am going for.

Thanks for all the great comments and input. It helps, especially the countervailing perspectives. The "sharpness" doesn't scare me as my amps have big round tones, so I think the combination of fullness, airiness and brightness will be a positive thing.

TW, good luck with the sports car. I can't get sh%t of gear in my Boxster, but I have a small SUV that holds all my gear and the bulk of the band PA.

Thanks again!
Brent

Back