The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:49 pm 
Single Recto

Ok, I'm getting 12v also on the rear solo. I pulled out my old morley switch and both my jacks in the rear work. Lets go over it again: For the rear solo, the loop switch has to be switched to "loop in"(up) and "Send level" in rear set to at least 12:00, mines at 1:00, and the solo vol(fr panel) has to be higher than the master. My master is set at 12:00 and my solo is set at 2:00. This gives me a slight boost, maybe 2-3db. And, it worked in all positions of the ch/fs mini toggle on the front.

Now if this fails to switch on to a louder vol, and does switches successfully in the rear "channel" jack(previously mentioned), indicating a good switch, then I would consider V3 as stated from your first post. If you have a efx pedal you might try it in the loop and see if that works, or try substituting V3 with a known good tube you may have. V4 is the reverb tube, if the reverb works, swap V4 with V3 and see what happens.

Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 pm 
Mark II

Well, I tried activating the "solo" from the rear panel with a mono jack. I checked my settings against your suggestions and everything is set. I can't hear any discernible sound increase. I even pegged the solo level knob with the master at 12 ... and nothing. When I switched jacks to the "channel" on the rear, I could get it to switch channels.

But when I go to the front with a stereo jack ... I get nothing. No channel switching .... no increase in volume. :(

I pulled all the covers off all the preamps tubes and they all look the same (ie they all light up with the same intensity). I'm new to all this tube stuff, so I'll plead ignorance as to whether or not that means anything.

Would swapping V3 fix this, seems like I got something "funky" going on with the front jack since I get nothing. On the topside of the PCB on your pedal is there anything else going on besides just the components soldered directly into the board?

Thanks again for all your help!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:19 am 
Single Recto

Confirming the loop works(or not) will help narrow down this problem to either, the loop, or the jack route. The way you called it on the PCB was correct, nothing else. Using my basic morley switch with a stereo cable in the front jack only switches the ch's, not the solo, revealing only the tip is being activated and the ring is not able to make contact on a mono FS. Using a wire, paper clip, with the stereo cable in front, I'm able to touch one end of the wire to the tip & the other to the ground & switch ch's. Likewise, touching the wire to the ring and ground will activate the solo. Also, do you have a manuel? Which gives the tube positions and functions. If not, here it is. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Plan-x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 am 
Mark II

plan-x wrote:
Confirming the loop works(or not) will help narrow down this problem to either, the loop, or the jack route. The way you called it on the PCB was correct, nothing else. Using my basic morley switch with a stereo cable in the front jack only switches the ch's, not the solo, revealing only the tip is being activated and the ring is not able to make contact on a mono FS. Using a wire, paper clip, with the stereo cable in front, I'm able to touch one end of the wire to the tip & the other to the ground & switch ch's. Likewise, touching the wire to the ring and ground will activate the solo. Also, do you have a manuel? Which gives the tube positions and functions. If not, here it is. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

I moved the mono cable and footswitch to the front panel and tried to activate the channel change ... but no go. This sort of mmics what you said to do with the paperclip. When I plug in the footswitch (which BTW worked on the rear panel to change channels) the green light goes out and channel switching does not work. I'm beginning to think I have a problem inside possibly with one of the relays. Looking at the schematics there is one inline to activate the solo function. I guess I should of suspected something when the seller said they didn't have the footswitch. I dread having to open this thing up. Oh well ... buyer beware. :x

I did check out the mesa site and downloaded that file already that you mention. Thanks plan-x.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:55 pm 
Single Recto

Ok, I used a mono cable with a single footswitch to replicate what you did, if my switch is closed, my green light goes off upon pluggin it in, I hit the switch and it goes on. Mini toggle(front panel) has to be in mid/up position (correction from "any position" previously stated) for switch to work. It may be a relay alright. I've opened mine up a couple times before. It's do-able. I think the paperclip test in a quite room, with a stereo cable is your best bet to hear if those relays are switching.
Before you go crackin the amp open, I would make sure your not overlooking the loop functionability. And is there a warranty still on it?

Plan-x

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 pm 
Mark II

Looks like you were right Plan-x. I did the paperclip test and I can hear both relays with the channel one being louder. The switch I'm trying to use is like this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/UNUSED-CRATE-3-BUTTON-FOOT-SWITCH-FOR-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ330304964051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?hash=item330304964051&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

It is a three button switch with one going to button "3" via a mono plug and buttons "1" & "2" going to the white stereo plug. I've ohmed this out and its basically opening and closing the connection via the switches. The grounds are tied to the long portion of the plug and buttons "1" & "2" to the tip and sleeve. This seems to follow the PCB artwork in your picture. I know switch "3" works because it switches the channels from previous test.

But when I try to use it with the front panel F/S jack it doesn't work. Bear in mind I tested the stereo cable with the paper clip (it trips relays). I've plugged the same stereo cable into this switch and verified continuity with making and breaking the circuit by hitting the switch. So in theory this should work. It's actually a nice alternative because it has the built in third switch to control the reverb. I'm totally baffled now since I was expecting the relays not to sound. Any suggestions before I loose my mind?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:18 am 
Single Recto

Yeah, I agree, in therory it should work and that would be a sweet set up. Not all pedals work from amp to amp. Manufacturers see to that. Do you have continuity/non, on that crate for tip=1st switch and ring=2nd switch? That is the way the mesa is set up. Maybe you should crack it open and take a look, just for the hell of it.

Now the mono should of worked in the rear solo like mine did. But it didn't. I'm thinking, that the relay works, so were back to a possible bad v3. Just because it glows, doesn't mean it functions properly. Basically they use both their A/B side for their function. You can flick it with your finger (amp on) and watch/hear for any unusual activity. The definitive test is the swap with a known good tube. If you have a working reverb, then that is a known working tube. Wiggle them out,(amp off) swap em, and see if you reverb still works properly and do the solo test again.

Plan-x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:24 am 
Mark II

plan-x wrote:
Yeah, I agree, in therory it should work and that would be a sweet set up. Not all pedals work from amp to amp. Manufacturers see to that. Do you have continuity/non, on that crate for tip=1st switch and ring=2nd switch? That is the way the mesa is set up. Maybe you should crack it open and take a look, just for the hell of it.

Now the mono should of worked in the rear solo like mine did. But it didn't. I'm thinking, that the relay works, so were back to a possible bad v3. Just because it glows, doesn't mean it functions properly. Basically they use both their A/B side for their function. You can flick it with your finger (amp on) and watch/hear for any unusual activity. The definitive test is the swap with a known good tube. If you have a working reverb, then that is a known working tube. Wiggle them out,(amp off) swap em, and see if you reverb still works properly and do the solo test again.

Did just that and I checked the continuity right at the switch bodies and at the end of the stereo plug with the stereo cable plugged into the switch jack, Both ways make and break continuity. One switch is tied to tip and the other to sleeve into a stereo jack receptacle. The third switch in mono and it works at the switch jack in the rear. What's throwing me for a loop is the paper clip test. The same stereo cable plugged into the front panel F/S jack will trip both relays by making and breaking contact. Yet when I plug the stereo cable into the front panel with the Crate footswitch box it doesn't work. When I do this it turns the green light off. It makes no sense! This is done with the toggle in the center.

Haven't tempted screwing with tubes yet. I'd just like to get the switch to work.