LSC or LSS: Opinions Welcome

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RawkerMan

Reaction score
I'm really considering adding a Lonestar to my amp collection. I've come across a used 50/100W 2x12 LSC and a 1x12 LSS at the stores in my town. Here are the facts I'm currently weighing.

- The LSC is used and the LSS is brand new.
- The LSS is covered with a tacky gold-sparkle vinyl.
- Both of them are being sold for the same price.
- I could get a brand new LSS with the "regular" brown finish for about $500 more than the other two.
- I can have only have one.

The options are making my head hurt, and keeping me awake. What would you do?

I'm no expert, but both are great amps. What style of music do you play and on what sort of guitars? I believe the general opinion is LSC for Humbuckers, LSS for single coils but YMMV.

Any chance of getting both / getting one and being able to trade for other if you don't like it?

Whats the price btw?

I like the LSS. I too had to make the decision of the two. Having played through a Fender "Twin" for years , I knew the LSC would probably be very loud. I was tired of having to keep the volume way down on the amp. I felt like saturating the tubes might help.I didn't feel like I got that w/ the higher wattage amp.The LSS was plenty loud for me. I have yet to turn the volume up much. We generally mic amps on stage to control the sound , and to keep the stage volume down. so total volume isn't an issue w/me. I do like a lot of clean headroom. The LSS seems to have it. I play clean a lot. Tough decision. Play through both w/your favorite axe. Gold sparkle huh? might look cool, dunno. I have the brown.
I'm using single coils through mine, but hums sound good too. I don't think you could go wrong either way......Good luck......

Right now my band's music is moderate to heavy rock n' roll. Not metal. It's closer to Guns N Roses volumes and tones. I play humbucker guitars. (Custom24 & ESP Eclipse w/DiMarzio ToneZone pups)
I'm not thinking of replacing my current amp, which is a 2-Channel DR, unless it manages to fit the band's sound someday. I'm just looking for a lower wattage amp that I can practice, noodle, or record with.
The used LSC and the brand new gold-sparkle LSS are both $1300.

I think either one would fit that purpose perfectly, if not even replace your current amp if you like the type of rhythm tone it has. It can really get to some great old school rhythm tones (which are probably more closer to the Marshall-inspired rock n roll sound than the Recto voicing). Thing with volumes is that generally 10W is only half as loud as 100W, so you probably won't notice much going from 50W to 30W. I certainly wouldn't base my decision on volume concerns alone.

On tone I can't comment much as I've haven't yet had the opportunity to try out the LSS extensively, but I'd say it's basically a difference of a more 6L6-oriented feel vs. a EL84-type of tone. I'd simply try either one with your favorite guitar and decide what type of tone you like best, cause that's what's most important.

I really appreciate all the input.

Funny thing, I run my DR with EL34's and an EQ in the loop to help get away from the standard Recto voicing. I also have a Peavey Classic 30 that I've played my guitar into, and I know that I dig the harmonically complex breakup sounds of an EL84.

I'm not thrilled by the idea of a 2x12 due to the weight, but considering they don't make the 100/50W LSC anymore, would you consider scooping one up?

That is a tough decision. I own both the classic and special at this time and can really only keep one. They sound very different in each other to my ears and both are very good tones. To me the classic is a clearer, cleaner amp on channel 1 of course due to its headroom and the 6l6 tubes ( I think of it as a fender twin with warmth) but really don't fall in love with the classics channel 2. The special to me sounds warmer and more bluesy without having to use any pedals with the EL84's. The specials channel 2 is more usable to me and can find classic rock Marshall, Vox types tones on it with the Mesa twist. The special can be played at lower volume levels on the 5 or 15 watt modes but don't be fooled by its wattage ratings since it can certainly be loud. The worry I would have with a amp a store says is new, should only sell for $1800.00 stated by Mesa, would be how or if the warranty would be honored by Mesa since they would be breaking their policys at selling at that price unless they have permission directly from Mesa. The warranty thing may not bother you but I would want the store to be straight up with me about it and you could always call Mesa and ask but I am sure I know the answer unless they have that special permission. The only other thing I would think about, knowing the way my mind works, is if I don't like how it looks it would probably bug me enough that it would be on ebay soon after I bought it. I wouldn't really consider $1300.00 a great price on the used classic without the 10 watt option but just about its normal used selling price ( I would be happy to get $1300.00 for mine and its in perfect condition but no 10 watt). $1300.00 is a great price for a lonestar special new especially if it has a warranty or could get the store to even stand behind it for 5 years. Good luck, its tough. Let us know what you do

Thanks JL. Not that all the other input didn't help, but you're two cents were what I was hoping for.

My band plays classic rock era British blues and Brit rock -we play a lot of festival size stages as well as occasional club gigs - the LSC has been the perfect amp...I keep it set on 50 watts
and use both channels...the clean channel is great for the Ric 12 and cleaner Les Paul or Strat tones...along with whatever pedal effects I might be using on particular tunes..and the drive channel handles the rest. I've had my LSC for close to 4 yrs and it has never let me down. I've got an ext cab coming in any day now...oh yeah....!

That is a tough decision! I own a LSS so I'll admit my bias here. You might want to think about the LSC because of the ability to use EL-34s to get the Brit rock sound. That being said, I loved the sound of the EL-84s - pure buttery warmth. I've heard many say that 84's are like a small EL-34s with more harmonics. My style is changing slowly to more of an Andy Timmons kind of thing, but I still can play (amazingly) Def Leppard through my LSS and get a British sound with plenty of overdrive tone but with a touch of warmth. I've owned the amp for about 3 weeks and I'm absolutely stunned by the LSS's tone and flexibility. I also own a F-50 for about 8 years - sadly, the poor thing has sat in the corner these past three weeks.

I've got the LSS head, and I play through a 1x12 open back cab with a C90 in it. You know, you could buy a new custom head box in the future if the sparkles turn you off - then just transfer the amp into the new box. At $1300, I'd jump on it. I paid $1700 for mine.

Sounds like a Special will fit your needs better. But, I'd buy this one! :mrgreen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=320334096327

RawkerMan said:
Switching out the cabinet!? I like the way the pastor is thinking.

That's eventually what I want to do with mine. My LSS cab is completely black tolex right now. I'd like to get a dark tan/light tan cabinet for the head eventually.

Do you guys know how much replacement cases are? Can you order a replacement case from Mesa directly, or do you have to go through an authorized dealer?

$400 is the price for standard issue, I'm not sure about direct or not. I was told they prefer you to order thru a dealer, but in some instances I know that has been avoidable.

I'm guessing for what Mesa will charge for an empty cab you could just buy a brand new LSS, get your warranty and be done with it. It would be worth 500 bucks to me not to have a sparkly amp :)

I looked at both and went with the Special myself because I'm mainly a blues player and I like lower wattage amps. It breaks up more quickly than the Classic which I need because every bar around here seems to have volume issues and I like some grit in my tone. I gigged once with a friends LSC and could never really get the dirty sound I wanted without getting told (repeatedly) to turn down. The LSS sounds great with my Tele and my Les Paul and I only really tweak the presence control when I switch guitars. I generally need to back off the guitars volume knob slighty on the Paul to clean it up a bit then turn it up for solos. The Tele sounds best with the guitars volume knob full on and I use the solo function on the amp for uh.. solos.

I got my 1x12 LSS in mint used condition in the stock tan finish for 1300 bucks with 4 years left on the warranty.

Back