LSC Efx Loop problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi All!

Here's the problem: Was using the LSC head (50/100 version, bought used at Christmas from GC) last night with the band and the FX loop would keeping losing volume by fading in and out, as well as sounding a bit thin. Checked all cables (AOK). When I switched out the loop, everything was back to normal. Volume control on the loop when I was using it was at about 1-2 O'clock. Turn it up full blast did not help matters much. Does this sound like a tube issue or something worse? I'm hoping you guys can save me a trip to tech, especially if it's something I can do myself. Thanks!

Matt

Try spraying a 1/4 " jack with DeOxit (radio shack has it) and put it in and out of the effects send and receive receptacles several times, that sometimes happens when those are dirty. Also try jumping out the effects loop with a short cord, see if the problem goes away, Keep your receipt, by the way and make copies of it, Mesa will want that if you go for a warranty repair. Upside is your warranty lasts 5 years.

Tried replacing V3 with a Mesa Chinese 12AX7? :D

SOUND “DROP-OUTS” / INTERMITTENT SIGNAL

One Possible Cause

Most (but not all) Mesa/Boogie amplifiers have one or two “cathode follower” tube stages in their preamps. Tube selection is CRITICAL in these stages.

Specifically, in a 12AX7 tube used as a “cathode follower”, the voltage difference between that present at the cathode, as compared with the heater voltage, can be withstood or tolerated by certain types of tubes, whereas other tubes will fail. The failure of a “cathode follower“ tube will cause sound dropouts or signal loss.

For the past few years, Mesa has been using two types of 12AX7 tubes: ones originating in Russia (Sovtek EH), and ones originating in China. The Russian (Sovtek) tube is NOT reliable as a cathode follower. Of the tubes we are using today (March 2008), ONLY THE CHINESE 12AX7 IS RELIABLE AS A CATHODE FOLLOWER.

In conclusion, if you are troubleshooting for signal dropout in a Mesa/Boogie amp,
suspect a cathode follower tube, and try replacing it with a Mesa 12AX7 that is marked as “CHINESE” (silk-screened on the tube itself).

Below is a partial list of Mesa amps and cathode follower tube locations:

GUITAR AMPS: BASS AMPS:

Lone Star & LS Special: V3 M-Pulse: V2
Stiletto: V3 & V4 Venture: V2
Road King I: V3 & V4 Big Block 750: V4
Road King II: V3 & V5 Titan: V4
Roadster: V3 & V5 M2000: V2
Dual & Triple (2ch or 3ch): V3 & V4 Bass 400+: V2
Tremoverb: V3 & V4

ANOTHER POSSIBLE SCENARIO may occur in the “SPONGY” (or on some models, “TWEED”) power setting: the reduced filament voltage may cause very low output from a RUSSIAN preamp tube. Again, the recommended fix is to replace the “sagging” tube with the CHINESE type of Mesa 12AX7 - which are more immune to this type of failure.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! The DeOxit idea had occurred to me this morning after posted. I'll try everything you guys recommended and report back.

Matt

Forgot to mention, at the time, I was running the following gear thru the loop: Boss Tuner, Boss CE-20, Boss DDL, and a Boss GE7. This has been my usual set-up for some time now and has worked without problems in a bunch of Mesa amps (all heads - DC-10, Heartbreaker, Express 5:50, MKIVa, Roadster, & Recto Solo 50) as well as a JCM800 2205 combo and Fender Pro Reverb (Pro Tube series).

Matt

Latest posts

Back