LSS tube rattle

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLBoogie

Reaction score
Does anyone else experience a buzzing sound on certain notes coming from their 1x12 Lonestar Special? I think I narrowed it down to a power tube rattle but not one specific tube but all. I have heard of tube rattle before in combo amps is there a fix? Do certain brands of tubes fit better in the sockets? Help if you have any info

I get some in mine. Sometimes it's a bad tube, i.e. the inside was rattling on the glass. Some tube rattle is to be expected, esp at loud volumes and with certain notes.

I didn't ever find it was tube brand specific.

Yeah, I've had exactly the same thing. Turned out to be a duff power tube. You can buy dampers, which are little more than rubber rings that you place around the tubes. People have posted with varying degrees of success.

Simon

fox5150 said:
Yeah, I've had exactly the same thing. Turned out to be a duff power tube. You can buy dampers, which are little more than rubber rings that you place around the tubes. People have posted with varying degrees of success.

Simon

Actually I think lots of people have the same issue with combo amps. I had brand new JJ tubes and it seemed worse so I called Eurotubes. They have a paper on their web site about "tube torture" in combo amps. He says it just happens and is not necessily a reflection on the health of the tube. According to him, a tube inside that cab next to the speakers is really subjected to some heavy vibes and even the best ones might rattle some, especially at higher volumes or with an amp setting that is pretty low end. Eurotubes is working on a better method for damping, but as other have said, there are some products out there that work part of the time. The issue is that it doesn't help all of the time.

FYI, it isn't only Mesa amps with this issue. I had a Peavey classic 30 that was worse.

Mark

I've had this happen before, and in my case it turned out to simply be the fin-clips around one of the power tubes. I took each tube out and tightened its clip just a hair, and the rattle went away completely. Took all of 2 minutes! I hope that's the problem....

Latest posts

Back