Buying a Mesa..Please help me out.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I've just joined the forum.Im planning to buy a mesa head...I play progressive rock,art rock etc...Yes,I'm a big tool fan..esp Adam Jones and I wanted to get a heavy low end sound similar to what he gets since im the only guitarist in the band and I really need to fill things up..I play on a 2008 Fender Standard American Strat with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge.

I was thinking either a LS Head or Double Rectifier Head
I dont kow which cab to buy
Could you guys please help me out here?
Any help would be highly appreciated.Cheers!

You want Adam Jones type sound then it's DR all the way. The LS does not have the gain and huge bottom end like a Recto. As for a cab - it depends what you want to lug around. The 3/4 back cabs sound killer IMO - of course the 4x12 sound can only be had with a 4x12 but it's a b!tch to lug around...

Actually ya you're right..carrying the head and cab for each gig would become a pain.
I might aswell settle for a combo.Hows the RectoVerb?Or LSC Combo?What would be better for a heavy sound?
And do you have any idea how these amps cost?

rossetta stoned said:
Actually ya you're right..carrying the head and cab for each gig would become a pain.
I might aswell settle for a combo.Hows the RectoVerb?Or LSC Combo?What would be better for a heavy sound?
And do you have any idea how these amps cost?

The Lonestar doesn't really do that kind of heavy without a boost in front. You might as well go for a Recto. :wink:

I have a SansAmp Tri AC and a Tube overdrive pedal....how would the LSC Combo sound with them? I thought if I get a Mesa I wont need the sansamp....but neway.
Could you guys tell me what the LS is good for?
LS or Rectoverb...Which is a better amp overall? and what is the main difference between a 1X12 and a 2X12?
Thanks for the price link.

Rosetta,

I would recommend going with the tube OD into the LSC and use it as a clean/semi-clean gain boost on either channel. The TriAC, which I used to own, will not sound good straight into the LSC due to the Sansamp speaker modeling. However, it would sound quite good running it into the Return of the LSC's effects loop, in essence running into a power amp, which is what it was primarily designed to do. Please keep in mind that the LSC WILL NOT give you the heavy recto/nu-metal sound. It's a different animal than a Recto. Happy experiementing :)

rossetta stoned said:
I have a SansAmp Tri AC and a Tube overdrive pedal....how would the LSC Combo sound with them? I thought if I get a Mesa I wont need the sansamp....but neway.
Could you guys tell me what the LS is good for?
LS or Rectoverb...Which is a better amp overall? and what is the main difference between a 1X12 and a 2X12?
Thanks for the price link.

I'd say the amp is based more in the mid-gain blues, jazz, country territory, but it can also do amazing high gain leads and rhythms as well. But as already pointed out; it will NOT give you the modern super-gainy Recto metal tone. You can get some great mid to high gain rhythm tones, and even further with a boost pedal, though. I've had great experience with Xotic pedals through mine (currently BB Preamp and RC Booster, the latter being a completely clean, transparent boost pedal). It really depends on what you're looking for exactly.

Check out this Andy Timmons video to get an idea on how it sounds:

http://mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/video/AndyTimmons-hi.html#p7EPMc1_2

Thanks guys...that was much needed information :) .Ok so I'll go in with the Rect.
But does the RectoVerb come in 2X12? Coz the price list only said 1X12.
And what about the TremoVerb? Have they stopped production of that amp? Its not on the Mesa site.
So if I get a Recto...how do I use my Sansamp? I really like that pedal.
Once again thanks alot guys

You could trying running the TRiAC straight into the amp like any other pedal, but again as I said before, it is not likely to sound good due to the cab emulation. Best results will be obtained running it into the effects loop return. You might be able to gt away with using it as a clean boost in front of the amp to overdrive the amp's input (like folks do with Tubescreamers, BB Preamps, OCDs, etc.). I think you need to entertain the possibility that the Sansamp will not be able to be part of your guitar rig, if you're going the tube amp route and using any amp's preamp. Great pedal, but not necessarily, "a typical plug and chug" pedal".

You're correct that the Tremoverb is out of production. I think that once you get familiar with the Recto, you won't be needing the TriAC. Nonetheless, hang onto that pedal! It's too nice to sell and you'll kick yourself later (I still do for selling it). :wink:

hehe...the TriAc is indeed a neat pedal..Its the closest you can get to a tube amp without actually buying one :wink: Thanks alot mdortona.
Cheers!

Back