THD Yellow Jackets with LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregrjones

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying THD Yellow Jackets for my Lone Star Classic but have questions.

If I understand correctly, one can run EL84s or 6V6s with the YJs. If I ran EL84's, would I have to switch the bias switch on the LSC to EL34? And if I ran 6V6's, would it be switched to the 6L6 setting?

I've only read about people running them with EL84s so maybe I'm mistaken here. If I ran the am pwith EL84's, and wanted to mix them with my stock power tubes, can they be mixed with either the EL34 OR the 6L6's? If so, how does the bias setting get adjusted?

I'm looking to try the YJ option to get power tube saturation at bedroom volumes. My LSC doesn't have the 10 W option. I understand that I'd see the 50 W setting drop to about 20W which might still be too loud. Perhaps I'd also want to run an attenuator.

If I understand correctly, one can run EL84s or 6V6s with the YJs.
Actually, this is incorrect. You can combine a pair of YJs with a pair of another tube type, but the YJs themselves take EL84s only... unless THD makes some hybrid version of it that will take other tube types as well. (EL84s are built and connect more like a preamp tube, so it's at least partly a hardware issue)

There are a few different types of Yellow Jackets, but the basic one you'll want will allow you to run EL84s in any amp that runs on any basic power tube type: 6L6, 6V6, EL34, etc. The trick is that Yellow Jackets are self-biasing, which is their whole deal -- that and providing a socket that will take EL84s in the first place.

This also means that Yellow Jackets do not dictate the bias setting that you use on the LSC. It only matters if you're mixing a pair of YJs with another pair of power tubes -- so then you match the bias setting to the other pair. The YJs take care of themselves.

Bias settings are fun to fiddle with, a whole other ball of wax, worthy of much discussion for those who have time to jot it all down... which we should do sometime. :) But basically, follow the directions from the manual and you'll be ok: use the 6L6 setting for 6V6s in most circumstances, use the EL34 setting for EL34s, etc.

Hope that helps!

I think there is like 4 yellow jackets. I would just Email THD they well know what to tell you.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/

thats great information i ever got can anybody tell me where are the best jackets available...

Latest posts

Back