LSS Reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thom

Reaction score
Hi

I have a second hand LSS. I have read some of the posts regarding poor reverb performance, and although I love my Mesa, I do feel the reverb is not as it should be. It works, but is not very present and certainly not as present as in some video demos I have heard. Bearing in mind that I am in the UK, does anyone know where I can get a new reverb tank and what spec should I look for etc. I did find some on the web but I am not sure what impedance is required. Bearing in mind the small cost of a new tank, I would rather replace this myself rather than go to the expense of sendiing the amp for repair.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards

tom

Are you sure everything's hooked up right? Check the connections underneath the chassis. When looking at the amp from the rear, the white plug should be closest to you and the black closest to the front panel. How do the reverb controls and the bright-warm switch perform?

Have you tried taking the reverb tank out of the leather bag and checked if all is good in there?

Just so you know, the reverb on the Lonestars is considered to be the best Mesa has made ever.

It might also not necessarily be the tank itself. Remember that there also is a tube-driven reverb circuit in the amp. Perhaps you should try replacing the V4 and see if that helps? V4 is for the reverb return and reverb drive.

I haven't really read anything on these forums about poor reverb performance in the LSS, so sorry if there's any known issues I'm unaware of.

In following Octa's advice, here's a thread covering just about everything on troubleshooting the reverb. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29232
As for a replacement, I don't know anything about impedence differences of reverb tanks. You might want to contact mesa on that one. As for a place to get one, Mojo tone is the only place I can think of off hand. http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/products.asp?id=45003

Hi

An update on the poor reverb on my LSS. I tried tubes/cables etc, (thanks for all the suggestions),and finally decided to get a new reverb tank, (as they are fairly cheap), I got one from the Tube Amp Doctor for 39 euros plus p+p. It arrived today and took 15 minutes or so to fit. I wasn't too hopeful, because there doesn't appear to be much to go wrong with a reverb tank; but.......I now have lush, full, beautiful reverb: But that is only half the story. My LSS is now much brighter, like someone took a blanket off it, and I actually need to use the bass controls and tame the trebles to re EQ my tones. Needless to say I am very, very, very happy. The amp is now superb; beautiful with no effects; when I swithed my eventide on, on Moddelay I nearly cried! Stunning...........

Latest posts

Back