Is it worth it to trade my older LSC for the new one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregrjones

Reaction score
I'm curious....

Do you guys think it worth it to trade my older LSC for the newer version to get the 15 watt power mode setting?

I'm thinking that I'd use the 15 watts for power tube saturation when recording and maybe even with gigs.

When I gig, even though I play bigger venues, I can't get the amp's master volume up past 9:00, so I'm not sure how much power tube saturation that I'm getting.

Does the 15 watt mode sound good? Does it need a massive eq tweak compared to the 50 and 100 watt modes? I know, I know.... I'm going to try one out, but until then....

I use the 10w mode at quieter band practices and at midnight volumes at home.
Other than that its 50 and 100w.

Do none of you find the 10 watt feature ideal for getting power tube saturation without having to blast the amp? This would seem to be ideal for smaller gigs, practicing, and for home recording.

Although, I wonder how much power tube saturation is overrated. I once tried out a THD Hotplate, and didn't honestly hear an improvement when using it with the Lone Star. But that might have more to do with the Hot plate than power tube saturation.

Power tube od isnt over rated its just old school.
I ran a fender amp for years cranked on its clean ch with stomps providing the sizzle.
It was a big sound with plenty of bottom end chunk. It was also very loud. Probably to loud in hind site.

The thing with the 10w's is if you are using 90w speakers C90's it just sounds like a quieter version of 50 or 100w's.
I think speakers are over looked when it comes to multi watt amps
I run the 10w's through a 25w speaker cab at band practice and the 10w makes more sense.
Fat and creamy solo tones but at 1/2 the volume.
I would like to try an even less efficient speaker with it on 10w.

Hi all,

I'm not saying anyone is wrong here, as tone is all subjective. But i've been experimenting with the 10W mode and have recently found a very smooth and creamy lead tone using it on ch2, keeping ch1 on 100w for headroom. I didn't think it would work, given the difference in size of the 2 modes, but it did.

I wouldn't use that tone all the time, but think I will start using the 10w channel more, as I've only just started to realise the potential of what happens when you get the output control past 9 o'clock. A lot of the gigs I play are quite small, but i've started refusing to be miked up so that I can drive the amp harder. It becomes much less wooly when you "put your foot on the pedal" - maybe I am just slow, but I am not a "If I am really loud, that means I am really good" player.

Just my 2p, rather than 2c :)

Duncs

I think you should keep your amp and start shopping for a good boost pedal. Personally, I don't think Boogies have the same power tube sat. as say an an old Marshall or Fender Deluxe.

I already use a boost pedal and it sounds great. But from what I understand, the legendary SRV blues tones were found when cranking tube amps, even with boost pedals in front of them.

I'm also considering the option of keeping my older LSC and simply going the THD YJ route. Any thoughts on that option compared to getting the 10W option of a newer LSC?

My Lonestar 2x12 combo is an earlier one I guess that only has 50 and 100 watt modes. It seems to have more gain than the models with the 10 watt mode.

i have the new 10 watt version.the things i like about this amp channel 1 the ten watt setting if you play it clean at ten watts you could do a coffee shop gig with this amp its keeps all its bass and mids if you play it softly then if you crank the gain up to about noon and the master to about two or three you get a great break up great for in your face blues keep it on full power
channel 2 10 watts is plenty loud enough for bar gigs its ten watts class A and cuts through a band just fine.i use a lss 2x12 for most of my gigs 5 watts on channel 2 is usually all i need in bars and fifteen if it gets really loud in the bar these amps really cut through the crowd and have found my self being to loud if i walk off the stage with a wireless set up on my guitar and listen to the mix these amps really push the sound out.i think mesa got it right with the ten watts for small gigs like bars and week-end gigs but then you have aways got 50 and 100watt if you need to have more power but if you happy with your amp you have try a really good pedal with it you might find thats all you need and save yourself a bunch of money.i don't think the new amps sound any different although i have just put g.t ecc83s in my lsc 2x12 combo and its sounds fantastic every bit as good as my lss2x12

CudBucket said:
My Lonestar 2x12 combo is an earlier one I guess that only has 50 and 100 watt modes. It seems to have more gain than the models with the 10 watt mode.

That's not true...I had both models....I found the 10 watt mode useful for the 2nd channel mostly, to get a great saturated lead tone without having to blast everyone....in rooms of about 200 to 300 people....

I always had trouble getting that type of lead tone straight into the 50/100 model.

However, that said, I would not absorb the loss in trading for the newer model.....I found I could get the same type of feel by using the BB Preamp pedal.

gregrjones said:
I'm curious....

Do you guys think it worth it to trade my older LSC for the newer version to get the 15 watt power mode setting?

I'm thinking that I'd use the 15 watts for power tube saturation when recording and maybe even with gigs.

When I gig, even though I play bigger venues, I can't get the amp's master volume up past 9:00, so I'm not sure how much power tube saturation that I'm getting.

Does the 15 watt mode sound good? Does it need a massive eq tweak compared to the 50 and 100 watt modes? I know, I know.... I'm going to try one out, but until then....

I don't know. I own a classic 212 and have played the newer ones. Maybe it would different at a gig, but the 10 watt mode didn't knock me over enough to change. It's not perfect but as others have said, I do fine for practices and smaller gigs at 50 watts on the tweed power setting.

Mark

Mark

Back