LSS speaker options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picnic

Reaction score
I have had my LSS for almost a year and am very happy with. Of course, I feel it's time to try some different speakers. Just out of curiosity.
I have an extra Tonker, Tonkerlite and an RWB. Anyone have experience with any of these speakers in a 1x12 LSS combo? I play mostly single coils and clean tones with some light breakup now and then.

Any other speakers you have tried in an LSS?

thanks for the feedback

You need to try all those speakers you mentioned and get back to us with a report. :)

hey!

I've been pretty happy with the C-90 and definitely gives tons of clean headroom. It does get a little fizzy with pedals for me, but this hasn't been my experience in the past with this speaker. I think it just needs a bit of break-in time.

I have a C-Rex hanging around and curious how it might sound in there. it would definitely cut down some of the highs, but might be a good match. supposedly the RWB tends to the darker tones too?

I'm curious about the WGS/warehouse offerings. also curious about the Celestion 12-65.

Well the C90 is gone and on the market. I got an Emi Wizard used at a decent price and put it in. first couple of chords and I knew it was a winner. The W just seems to be more expressive and stronger in the mid range. I was totally happy with my LSS stock, but I can't leave well enough alone. This time, swapping speakers worked out.

I have used my old Matchless 2X12 cab with my LSS head and it sounds great - for larger rooms when moving more air is required it's a great match - highs are nice and sparkly, nice tight bottom and classic mids that the celestions are famous for - I had an old '96 DC30 that I turned into head/cab, sold the head (still have that pristine orig. green/blk empty combo cab btw) - it was just always too loud even @ 15watts, wasn't using it so off it went - I find the power choice w/the LSS to be much more useable and adaptable for most all rooms - rarely need the full 30 watts, usually have ch1 on 15watt and ch2 on 5watt - it gets the tubes sweating and sounding like they are working. I also picked up a Victoria Regal 2 - you can see that I like matching the amp power to the room - need fewer OD pedals and it's fun to let the amp run.

I just started using my LSS head with a 2x12 open back cab loaded with Celestion Blues. They are a great match for a dark amp like the LSS. They boost the upper mids a bit, are loud and punchy and have tons of detail. Can't recommend them high enough, even though the price for them is silly now....

I guess in a 1x12 you would have to go with a Celestion Gold due to the Blue's low wattage rating but they should sound comparable.

Ocassionally I'll disconnect the combo speaker from my LSS 1 x 12 combo and run just the amp into a Dr. Z open back 2 x 12 with Celestion Golds.

The cleans are absoutely heavenly. Punchy (like the Blues) and very articulate (like the Blues)

Dirty, i really like the mids pushed and these speakers do that, too.

Did I mention the cleans are HEAVENLY?

Serious dough, though. I bought the cab with the Gold used and it was around $700.00 BEFORE the huge Celestion price bump.

I pulled the Wizard out of the LSS because I wanted to try it in my Fargeen Blackbird 40. The wizard is an amazing sounding speaker in the BB. The Tonker sounds great in the LSS, but not as good as the Wizard.

Buy another Wizard time.

pjrhd28 said:
Serious dough, though. I bought the cab with the Gold used and it was around $700.00 BEFORE the huge Celestion price bump.

So if I bring a Celestion Gold with me in my luggage on every trip stateside, would I make a fortune selling them? :p They would cost me $273 US at the current exchange rate.

Well, the $700.00 was 2 Golds with the Z open back 2 x12

Here in the US, the Golds look like they are $325.00 per.

That Z cab with the Golds is $1,137 new

pjrhd28 said:
Here in the US, the Golds look like they are $325.00 per.

Ah right, not a big enough profit to make it worth dragging 4000 miles then ! :oops:

Latest posts

Back