EL34s in my LSC 10/50/100 (woot!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellem52

Reaction score
So through a bizarre bit of dealer Tom Foolery I got promised a full set of tubes for my LSC I bought last year. When I was there I honestly couldn't remember what was in the amp, 6L6s or EL34s. As you all know it's 6L6s - but I said EL34s. I felt like the kid from Christmas Story. "No wait! Not a football. I want an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle (BB Gun) with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time!"

So anyway... I get home and retube the amp, screw in the damper bolt a little more and flip the switch from 6L6 to EL34.

OMG.

I <3 this sound!!! This is a great change-up. I understand the tubes might not be as reliable in the long run but MAN I like this sound so much. Just saying :)

So your saying that you have EL-34's in the amp right? I tried a set once, and it was a nice sound. The difference was subtle. It made the mids more sweet, and helped ch2 sound better.

ellem52 said:
So through a bizarre bit of dealer Tom Foolery I got promised a full set of tubes for my LSC I bought last year. When I was there I honestly couldn't remember what was in the amp, 6L6s or EL34s. As you all know it's 6L6s - but I said EL34s. I felt like the kid from Christmas Story. "No wait! Not a football. I want an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle (BB Gun) with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time!"

So anyway... I get home and retube the amp, screw in the damper bolt a little more and flip the switch from 6L6 to EL34.

OMG.

I <3 this sound!!! This is a great change-up. I understand the tubes might not be as reliable in the long run but MAN I like this sound so much. Just saying :)

I tried mixing the EL34s with the EL84/Yellowjackets in the outer two positions and got a great 18 watt Marshall sort of sound out of Channel 2

plan-x said:
So your saying that you have EL-34's in the amp right? I tried a set once, and it was a nice sound. The difference was subtle. It made the mids more sweet, and helped ch2 sound better.

plan-x :: Channel 2 is definitely "sweeter". I find it a little more usable at volume as well. It's more "together" which could just be new tube sound :)

pine :: The Yellow Jacket is an intriguing idea. I have been mulling that over for a while.

I used to run EL34L's in my LSC for more of a "Hey Joe" kind of clean. On the dirty channel it seemed to get an even more realistic SRV tone with a Strat. As far as being less reliable, I don't think you should worry to much, they still run on the cold side for EL34's, so you should get regular life span, I know I did.

fishyfishfish said:
I used to run EL34L's in my LSC for more of a "Hey Joe" kind of clean. On the dirty channel it seemed to get an even more realistic SRV tone with a Strat. As far as being less reliable, I don't think you should worry to much, they still run on the cold side for EL34's, so you should get regular life span, I know I did.

Yes, I have found the EL34s make my Clean Channel a touch dirty. However, it's a musical dirty. More responsive to the pick.

fishyfishfish said:
I used to run EL34L's in my LSC for more of a "Hey Joe" kind of clean.

To me, that is the best clean sound out there. The ability to push it into a slight breakup with the picking hand is ideal. :D If I wanted a "squeaky" clean sound, I would play a Roland.

fishyfishfish said:

I haven't seen a problem as far as reliability either. I use JJ E34Ls in my LSC and love what it did for me. As others have said, channel 2 seems cleaned up a bit and I seem to have a tighter bottom in and a glassier midrange.

Mark

Latest posts

Back