The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am 
Bottle Rocket

I apologize if this has already been answered before, but I've done some preliminary searching and couldn't acquire my answer. My question is: Is this mod okay to be done on all three versions of the Lone Star (Classic, Classic with Duo-Class and Special)?
By the way, good job to the poster of this! Nice clean instructional layout! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am 
Mark I

j.d.hall wrote:
I apologize if this has already been answered before, but I've done some preliminary searching and couldn't acquire my answer. My question is: Is this mod okay to be done on all three versions of the Lone Star (Classic, Classic with Duo-Class and Special)?

it works on the lss

LSS 1X12 W Drive Footswitch Mod; Reeder Mod #1
Studio .22+ 1X12 Combo
Quad Preamp
All Gibson: ES-333, ES-335, ES-339, LP, L-4 (all with classic 57 pups), SG (490R,498T)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:32 pm 
Mark IV

j.d.hall wrote:

Thanks!

The mod works on, and benefits, all versions of the Lone Star.

Electra Dyne
Mini Rec 25
TransAtlantic 15
Lone Star 27, 23 & 19, RA 27 1x12, WBCB 1x12 Cabs

http://www.damonwood.com

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:28 pm 
Bottle Rocket

hi all...new to the board...just did the Reeder mod #1 and #2...easy to do. The channel swap really made ch2 usable now. Before I wasn't able to control the drive and gain so i never used the drive channel. Now the drive interacts with the gain so well it's hard to get a bad sound. Not that it was bad b4 but so much better now. I also did the mid mod while I had it open. It's subtle but more control over the mids and lows. I've had my LSS 1-12 combo for about 4 weeks now and use a podx3l. I tweaked all my patches and is sounding really good. I play in a classic rock band and at my church and the soundmen commented on how good the sound is. Instead of putting a mic in front I use the slave out straight to the board and it's amazing how close the sound is to what comes from the speaker! I can't figure it out but I'm happy. I bought the LSS used,a 2006 model. I could use some recommendations on a speaker extention and i want to change out the tubes. My other amps use JJ's but i would like to go NOS if it doesn't break the bank. This board is invaluable and I was lurking on it months b4 I got the LSS. Hearing what u guys had to say and hearing some Youtube demos sold me. Thanks for all the valuable info...priceless :D

LSS 1-12 Combo (Reeder Mod #1&2)
'84 Strat/ 08 Epi LP Ultra II
Peavey Signature Series EXP
Line6 Podx3L
Marshall AVT50/ 50w Atomic Amp

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 pm 
Single Recto

gibson58 wrote:
hi all...new to the board...just did the Reeder mod #1 and #2...easy to do. The channel swap really made ch2 usable now. Before I wasn't able to control the drive and gain so i never used the drive channel. Now the drive interacts with the gain so well it's hard to get a bad sound. Not that it was bad b4 but so much better now. I also did the mid mod while I had it open. It's subtle but more control over the mids and lows. I've had my LSS 1-12 combo for about 4 weeks now and use a podx3l. I tweaked all my patches and is sounding really good. I play in a classic rock band and at my church and the soundmen commented on how good the sound is. Instead of putting a mic in front I use the slave out straight to the board and it's amazing how close the sound is to what comes from the speaker! I can't figure it out but I'm happy. I bought the LSS used,a 2006 model. I could use some recommendations on a speaker extention and i want to change out the tubes. My other amps use JJ's but i would like to go NOS if it doesn't break the bank. This board is invaluable and I was lurking on it months b4 I got the LSS. Hearing what u guys had to say and hearing some Youtube demos sold me. Thanks for all the valuable info...priceless :D

Ah ha! These are showing up on the used market with these mods. Good show Gibson. :D

Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:17 am 
Bottle Rocket

I registered with this forum to personally thank Mr. Reeder for his "pot-swap" mod. I just got done trying it out on my LSS and I couldn't be happier. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
Bottle Rocket

So I did the Reeder Mods 1 and 2 a couple of weeks ago, and then immediately left town for a week so I couldn't check out the amp. I spent a week worrying that I wouldn't like it. The only way I could not stress about it was reminding myself that it was easily reversible.

So I 've been playing it for a week now, and I've got to say I'm very happy with the results. Before the Mods the only sounds I liked out of Channel two were the cranked power chord kind of tone. Couldn't find a slightly dirty sound.

Now it is easy to find just the sound I want.

Thanks Mr. Reeder.

Swen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm 
Mark II

Are there accomanying photographs to demonstrate this mod?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 am 
Mark II

Hi all,

I've read about the Reeder Mod's a lot and am seriously considering opening up 'my baby' now to try it. I've watched a lot of videos and they are always difficult to get a good idea of the mod sound, so thought perhaps I'll ask the people that have done the mod directly, especially as I have a specific tone in mind. I am aiming for 90's clapton (see/hear link below). It not massively gainy except in the solo's though many would consider that medium gain. His sound is fat, which the LSC does, but it just turns to mush, even with the bass at 0, treble at 2 on normal voicing, with the drive at 12. The neck pick-up is almost unusable.

The thing i am struggling to understand is that many say the mod gives you a slightly gainier version of Channel 1, which doesn't sound as though it will get anywhere near 90's Clapton (he used SLO100 heads then). Video clips of the mod sound much gainier than CH1 though.

Anywhay, here is a clip of where I am trying to get to, it is the smoothness of the sustain whilst retaining the clarity of the lower strings. A lot of it is of course in his fingers and picking, but I don't want to take my amp apart if it is a waste of time :) BTW - I have a clapton strat, so have the mid-range boost which is small part of the solo sound.

http://youtu.be/4FPUvdwvBIs
(3:12 and 5:40 are the solo's -second is all on neck PU)

All thoughts gratefully received on whether this type of sound is achievable - as I can take no more mush!

D

GigRig Pro-14, Peterson Tuner, BB Preamp, MXR Phase 90, Boss CE-2, '74 Dlx E/Mistress, Fulltone Wah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:32 pm 
Mark I

Clapton sounds great on the clip u referenced. then again he pretty much always sounds great.

i play humbuckers thru LSS so my sounds lean in a different direction than single coils thru LSC, but i got the reeder mod done and like it. i just consider the channel1 sound more to my taste so it makes sense to have a similar foundation for channel2 also. i know u said the sound was too 'mushy' for u, so u r considering the reeder mod. trying it isn't a big investment. i had a tech do mine ($50) and i'm told it's easily reversible. u may like it too, but, before u do it, perhaps some more tone/gain knob tweaks may give what u like. eg perhaps cranking the drive to 2-3, treble up to 4-5 may get u closer to the sound u hunt. i find that minute knob tweaks have big impacts. also, remember that master master knob for each channel can pump in some fatness/low-end unless kept below 12. perhaps that could control some of what u hear as 'mush'

don't forget, that all the mod does is change the taper of the gain knobs so u get more control of medium gain turf.

LSS 1X12 W Drive Footswitch Mod; Reeder Mod #1
Studio .22+ 1X12 Combo
Quad Preamp
All Gibson: ES-333, ES-335, ES-339, LP, L-4 (all with classic 57 pups), SG (490R,498T)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:33 am 
Mark II

Thanks all - actually made a little bit of progress by having channel 2 in 50w diode, rather than 100w diode mode. This has surprised me a little and will post separately in the main channel on it. Some of the propper strat neck tone came through even with the drive and gain around 2pm. Still more work to be done, but progress made, may try the mid mod to get a bit more control over the bass and mids on CH2.

D

GigRig Pro-14, Peterson Tuner, BB Preamp, MXR Phase 90, Boss CE-2, '74 Dlx E/Mistress, Fulltone Wah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 pm 
Mark II

Thanks Mr. Reeder. I guess I knew there was a reason why I gravitated toward the Clean channell. It is ethereal. Now CH2 can give me that same feeling. And the guy that installed pickups for you should be well good enuf to swap these 2 pots.

VR, Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:53 pm 
Mark II

I made the mod yesterday. It made a world of difference in responsiveness. I notice my Gain pot had number 5988739 1036 and Master Gain 598792 1036.

This MB LSS was bought new in January of 2011. So at least this mod applies to newer LSS amps.

I do wish they had put a shelf to slide the chassis out on. It fell, but nothing broke.

Thanks, Ron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:59 am 
Bottle Rocket

???? On schematic Gain and Master are same value 1MA ????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:32 am 
Mark II

Yes both pots are 1M but the taper is different. Switching puts the better taper where it should have went in the first place. There are pictures wi the original thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next