Which tweaks have you made to you Express combo amp rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 39637

Reaction score
Hello.

The Express combo amps are great, but I see that some tweak their amp and rig with other speakers, tubes and pedals. For those of you who don't run a guitar into stock amp setup, which tweaks (tube or speaker replacements, pedals, attenuators, and so forth) have you implemented in your rig?

I did go with a set of Doug's Tubes and yea a slight difference I liked. Stock V30 speaker. Have gigged with and with a pedal board, when I do use one it is just for some delay maybe an occasional mod effect and a low gain overdrive. Using just that a couple of years ago in a band the other guitar player junked amp and went out an bought an Express because he liked my tone so much.

It's all in the there just learning how to use it. Me the Clean Channel gain at about 11 and Burn Channel bought with gain at about 9. If I need more than that an OD to push it a little.

Stinger22 said:
It's all in the there just learning how to use it.

I agree. I've had the amp for about three years, and are still finding new sounds. The versatility of this amp is just fantastic. For my taste it doesn't do high gain stuff very well, but it does everything from jazz to heavy blues very well.

For me, it's often tempting to spend time just exploring the great sounds this amp produces, instead of practicing my guitar skills.

Stinger22 said:
Me the Clean Channel gain at about 11 and Burn Channel bought with gain at about 9. If I need more than that an OD to push it a little.

I just recently got a tip using Burn channel with gain about 9 - maybe it was you who gave me the tip - and this have become my favorite fender strat "dumble" type of sound.

Yeah I did but then I also found that tip here several years ago and ain't looked back.

I have changed speaker several times, now digging a Tone Tubby 40/40. The EQ and tone controls can make a huge difference and must be tweaked when changing speakers and even with different guitars.

I’m not much on pedals but would think a boost would be a good one to have. I like to run the Burn channel higher than 9 o’clock, it does sound good at 9. With a boost you can get almost extra channels.

One if the features I really like is the onboard boost which is between the preamp and power amp.

Stinger22 said:
One if the features I really like is the onboard boost which is between the preamp and power amp.
I didn't know about that. Any amp settings to recommend to bring out what sounds the onboard boost gives?

b00g13mk2B said:
I have changed speaker several times, now digging a Tone Tubby 40/40. The EQ and tone controls can make a huge difference and must be tweaked when changing speakers and even with different guitars.

I’m not much on pedals but would think a boost would be a good one to have. I like to run the Burn channel higher than 9 o’clock, it does sound good at 9. With a boost you can get almost extra channels.
I'd great to just have different speakers laying around, to experiment with different ones. I'll put Tone Tubby on the list of potential candidates, if I decide to try new speakers some time later. As of now I can't imagine the amp sounding any better for my needs, so I'm reluctant to testing even different power tubes! :p

kenneho said:
Stinger22 said:
I didn't know about that. Any amp settings to recommend to bring out what sounds the onboard boost gives?

It's just boost to whatever tone you have dialed in through the pre-amp it comes after that. It is especially useful for me when I'm playing real clean and then a solo comes upand I want to stay clean or have a little dirt dialed in and don't more more dirt on the solo as a pedal boost would add as you're boosting the preamp.

Latest posts

Back