No volume on 5 watt mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadbob17

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just picked up a used 5:25 express, what a sweet little amp! When I switch it to 5 watt mode there is next to no volume on either channel. If I crank the master it gets to the point I can barely hear the guitar. On 25 watt mode the thing is really loud. I tried swapping out the pre amp tubes with a known good one 1 at a time without success. Would this be a power tube issue?

Tia!

Did you swap the phase inverter/driver tube (V5?)? When mine went in an Express 5:50, the amp worked fine in the 50 watt setting, and very badly in the 5 watt setting.

Also, make sure that the tube you're swapping in is good- just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Hey Don thanks for the reply, I took a tube out of my rectifier that I'm pretty confident is working fine (no issues with that amp). I may go try it again and just focus on the v5.

Keep in mind that you need a good strong tube there when you're in 5 watt mode. Try more than one.

Back