Express 5:25+ what speaker to lose the spiky brittle highs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GazzaBloom

Reaction score
Had a 5:25+ a couple of weeks and I like it but I am finding that there is a spiky brittle edge to the high end that I can't seem to dial out no matter how much I try. My Les Paul sounds better with it than my single coil Fenders, the Strat on the bridge pickup especially sounds very harsh.

I'm wondering if it's a characteristic of the V30? I like rest of the core amp tone just want a less glassy and shrill top end. Is there a speaker you can recommend? What about a Celestion Creamback M65?

It seems about 50/50 on the V30 and the Express 5 25+. I have tried Eminence Cannabis Rex, Tone Tubby Purple Haze and Tone Tubby Winterland. The Winterland is a bit louder and more forward than the Purple if you need a little more clean volume. I think I will switch back to the Purple, has a nice chime.

The Creamback and other speakers are certainly worth trying.

How loud do you play, what size room? The V30 may do better in a big space. Or after being pounded awhile.

I switched the V30 in mine for a Texas Heat. I've had TH's before in other amps, and they've always sounded great. You can check the description from the Eminence web site, I feel that's pretty accurate.

Anyway, the result was pretty much what you would expect: The spikiness of the V30 was gone, and the sound became more balanced without being dull. More warmth but still a good amount of bite.

Overall I feel that a V30 is just not a good choice for a small 1x12 combo, which is bound to sound boxy and nasal anyway. The V30 just makes these qualities more obvious.

As one of the "not a V30" people, I've ended up with it back in my amp. I was speaker swapping on my MKIIA and really liked the Winterland, so there it stays.

Using a 1x12 cab that it easy to swap speakers, I went through all combinations. The V30 is certainly efficient and sounds great OKIN Burn mode. What is different is me using the EQ differently. Was going to put the Tone Tubby Purple Haze back in but too much trouble to change and the V30 is sounding good.

Considering that the V30 is the staple of modern amplification and the speaker of choice, that generally applies to a closed back or sealed cabinet. I have never been fond of the V30 with a ported back or open back format. It can sound a bit fizzy and not as rewarding. There are other speaker choices one could choose from. I am surprised that Mesa is using the V30 in this platform. The MC90 has a warmer tone and is more suitable for an open back combo or cab. Then there is the Fillmore speaker that Mesa uses in the Recto-Verb 25. Both of which would be a good alternative to the V30 for the open back combo. Another alternative that works with similar character but no fizz for open back combo is the Celestion G12H75 Creamback. You could probably also go with a Greenback too but a bit close on the power rating of the amp. Celestion Alnico Gold would probably work too as well as the Alnico Cream but keep in mind that the bell is very large (especially on the Cream 90W version). If I had a preference it would be for the Cream Alnico 90W Celestion speaker as that was so rewarding in my Mark V until I blew it out with the JP-2C (oops), also has a bit of high frequency roll off but not as dramatic as some other speakers I have tried. For simplicity, either the Fillmore or MC90 would be a good choice.

I have the 5:25+ too with the stock V30 speaker, and love how it makes my single coil Strat sound. For me, it wasn't until I set the sliders to a reverse V-shape, i.e. low bass and treble and boosted mids, I found the sweet spot. Watch the amp settings in the beginning of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xodnkjxsYc to see what I mean.

Play loud and often, and that V30 will sound better and better. It also works well in the context of a band

There are two preamp tubes that may help with the harsh overtones of the amp. I do not have a 5:25+ so my comments are based on assumption and some preamp circuits will respond differently than those in other amps.

Mullard long plate 12AX7 or the JJ ECC803s. I looked at the tube task chart and was surprised to see V1 is not the primary tube.
The Mullard can be used in V2 which is the primary input tube. It will have more gain than the ECC803s. However, V3 is the late gain stage position so the effects of roll off may be more of a benefit there. JJ ECC803s or the Mullard 12AX7 would help here as well.

If you just decide to swap speakers you may wind up with tone that may be less than satisfactory. You do not want to blanket your tone. I love the OTR speaker in the Mark V but that amp is extremely bright and it works with it quite well but does not work well with the JP-2C, TC series amps or Roadster. Another speaker that helps is the Celestion Crème 90W speaker. Expensive as it is, it just sounds great if you like vintage tone. Celestion Redback is another but has more top end cut. Celestion Creamback G12H75 also fit this formula as it has more roll off and subdued character. Celestion Creamback G12M65 is just slightly different with a bit more top end. Speakers will also respond differently with different amps. Trying to find the tone you want may be at a cost burden if you have to go through several speakers. ouch. Preamp tubes will help at a lower cost point since you can try them in different positions in the preamp which may be easier to find the best combination to suit your tone needs. Also it will not be that dramatic and a small change may be all that is required.

I had a DC-3 with a V30 and never loved the amp. I think it might've been the speaker. It seems like the V30 cuts like a knife in a live band for a hard rocker, but is a little bit much for a home player or someone who plays in a band but doesn't rock as hard.

I have a 5:25 (non +) that sounds anything but spiky. I don't know how much they changed the amp with the + version, but my 5:25 (and the 5:50 that I had before it) is a pretty smooth sounding amp, almost to a fault.

FWIW, I recently bought a 5-25+ head. I have an Ampeg 1-12 open back cab, and installed a Celestion G12-35XC. It is a very even speaker but retains the Celestion character.

The Celestion A type sounds great in the clips I've heard, being a smoother, darker speaker.

I put the Purple Haze back in. Much better overall tone to my ears than the V30.

Latest posts

Back