The Boogie Board
http://forum.grailtone.com/

Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=73947
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Lef T [ Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

I'm currently on the lookout for a more grab n go type of combo and really like the 5.50 + combo.
At 54 lbs. the 5.50 is more lug n go for my 63 year old body.
The C90 is 13 lbs.
A speaker like the Emminence Lil Texas is 3.5 lbs.
That brings the weight down to roughly 45 lbs.
Anyone try this?

Author:  polarbare21 [ Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

I feel your pain T...

2 C-spine surgeries, and just saw the doc today, my T-4 is bulged.
I'm lucky enough to feel my fingers enough to play once a week.

I bought a 5:50 plus combo years ago, left it stock. Why mess with "almost perfection".
I used a folding 2 wheel dolly for quite a while.

As things got worse for me, I picked up a 5:50 plus head.

Now I leave the combo at home, and when I travel I take the head and either a 1x12, 2x12 or 2x10 cab, it depends on the room we're playing.

Its much easier to make extra trips to the car instead of 1 trip that ruins my night (and next few days with pain).

Yeah I know its more $, but its where we spend our money. And with both, you will know that amp like the back of your hand.

You got the amp, you like the sound, I don't thing the speaker change will help for very long.

Good luck Brother!

Author:  Lef T [ Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Thanks for replying.
I haven't bought the 5.50 + yet.
I really like the combo vs head and cab.
Not sure which direction I'll go yet..

Author:  Newysurfer [ Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Lef T wrote:
I'm currently on the lookout for a more grab n go type of combo and really like the 5.50 + combo.
At 54 lbs. the 5.50 is more lug n go for my 63 year old body.
The C90 is 13 lbs.
A speaker like the Emminence Lil Texas is 3.5 lbs.
That brings the weight down to roughly 45 lbs.
Anyone try this?


No have not heard of anyone doing a positive amp downgrade like this.
Mesa use the Celestion C90 and V30s on all their modern amps for good reason imo.
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.

If weight is a priority for you Mesa make lighter combo amps than 5:50.
5:25, Mark V 35, TA-30 or............
Consider a 5:50 Head with a separate V30.

Lightest and best of all is the Mark V 25 with a separate cab :mrgreen:

Author:  Krek13 [ Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Newysurfer wrote:
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.


You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.

Author:  ricardo loma vista [ Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

I haven't done it in my 5:25 express which is much lighter, but I did replace the black shadow in my lonestar special with a celestion g12 vintage neo to reduce the weight. The vintage neo is not identical to the black shadow, but with EQ adjustment, I can get a similar tone which works for me, and I shaved off about 9 pounds. Carry your foots witch and cable separately, and another couple of pounds goes away.

I have plugged my express into the lonestar cab with the vintage neo, and it sounds good with the express. But the cab is bigger than the express and adds some dimension. I would swap out the 5:25 celestion for the vintage neo if the weight was an issue.

Author:  gag halfrunt [ Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

I got my current Mark V combo used, and it had and Eminence Governor in it. It sounds great. I have an extension cabinet with a neo speaker in it - Eminence Deltalite II. It really opens up the tone when I use both. I haven't tried it with just the Deltalite, but I plan on doing that soon - probably over the holidays.

Experiment with speakers! It's fun and you can learn all kinds of cool things about your amp by doing it. Don't listen to the fraidy cats who think only certain speakers belong with certain manufacturers. That's BS. Everyone's rig has a different signal chain. We play in differently shaped rooms with different floor and wall coverings. All of that stuff affects tone.

Good luck on the adventure!

Author:  Lef T [ Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

gag halfrunt wrote:
Good luck on the adventure!


Still haven't made a move yet,but thanks for the replies everyone.

Author:  Don [ Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

It's worth a shot! I found the C90 to be a really good match with the 5:50 when I tried other speakers. If I was to try a Neo speaker I think I'd look at the Celestion Neo Creamback, though I haven't heard the Eminence.

I have an Express 5:25 1x10 now with an Eminence Copperhead. The Copperhead takes away some of the "honk" that the stock speaker had.
It's a downgrade from the 5:50 (for me, anyway), but I really only use it to practice with and as a grab and go for informal jam sessions. I love it's portability. I generally use a larger Fender style amp for gigs.

Author:  Newysurfer [ Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Krek13 wrote:
Newysurfer wrote:
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.


You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.


Great Krek - we can both laugh at each other then :mrgreen:
I don't find your statements interesting though

Author:  Krek13 [ Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Newysurfer wrote:
Krek13 wrote:
Newysurfer wrote:
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.


You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.


Great Krek - we can both laugh at each other then :mrgreen:
I don't find your statements interesting though


That's ok, I have real experience and I know what I'm talking about.
On the other hand - you are one of those "virtual" guitarists who finds his facts on the internet and then gives advice about gear he never even saw or tried in real life. You probably don't even play guitar.

Author:  thunda1216 [ Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

you know, Eminence made some Black Shadow speakers for Mesa as well...

Author:  Don [ Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

thunda1216 wrote:
you know, Eminence made some Black Shadow speakers for Mesa as well...


Isn't the Fillmore 75 made by Eminence?

Author:  Krek13 [ Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

thunda1216 wrote:
you know, Eminence made some Black Shadow speakers for Mesa as well...


he wasn't able to google that one :lol:

Author:  Lef T [ Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Don wrote:
If I was to try a Neo speaker I think I'd look at the Celestion Neo Creamback, though I haven't heard the Eminence.


I've heard good things about the Neo Creamback too.
I've considered a 5.25 Express Plus,but like the 5.50 plus better.
I wish Mesa would come out with a 35 lb. Kingsnake. :lol:

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/