The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm 
Mark I

I'm currently on the lookout for a more grab n go type of combo and really like the 5.50 + combo.
At 54 lbs. the 5.50 is more lug n go for my 63 year old body.
The C90 is 13 lbs.
A speaker like the Emminence Lil Texas is 3.5 lbs.
That brings the weight down to roughly 45 lbs.
Anyone try this?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I feel your pain T...

2 C-spine surgeries, and just saw the doc today, my T-4 is bulged.
I'm lucky enough to feel my fingers enough to play once a week.

I bought a 5:50 plus combo years ago, left it stock. Why mess with "almost perfection".
I used a folding 2 wheel dolly for quite a while.

As things got worse for me, I picked up a 5:50 plus head.

Now I leave the combo at home, and when I travel I take the head and either a 1x12, 2x12 or 2x10 cab, it depends on the room we're playing.

Its much easier to make extra trips to the car instead of 1 trip that ruins my night (and next few days with pain).

Yeah I know its more $, but its where we spend our money. And with both, you will know that amp like the back of your hand.

You got the amp, you like the sound, I don't thing the speaker change will help for very long.

Good luck Brother!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm 
Mark I

Thanks for replying.
I haven't bought the 5.50 + yet.
I really like the combo vs head and cab.
Not sure which direction I'll go yet..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 pm 
Mark IV

Lef T wrote:
I'm currently on the lookout for a more grab n go type of combo and really like the 5.50 + combo.
At 54 lbs. the 5.50 is more lug n go for my 63 year old body.
The C90 is 13 lbs.
A speaker like the Emminence Lil Texas is 3.5 lbs.
That brings the weight down to roughly 45 lbs.
Anyone try this?

No have not heard of anyone doing a positive amp downgrade like this.
Mesa use the Celestion C90 and V30s on all their modern amps for good reason imo.
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.

If weight is a priority for you Mesa make lighter combo amps than 5:50.
5:25, Mark V 35, TA-30 or............
Consider a 5:50 Head with a separate V30.

Lightest and best of all is the Mark V 25 with a separate cab :mrgreen:

Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:54 pm 
Mark III

Newysurfer wrote:
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.

You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.

https://soundcloud.com/un_like

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm 
Mark II

I haven't done it in my 5:25 express which is much lighter, but I did replace the black shadow in my lonestar special with a celestion g12 vintage neo to reduce the weight. The vintage neo is not identical to the black shadow, but with EQ adjustment, I can get a similar tone which works for me, and I shaved off about 9 pounds. Carry your foots witch and cable separately, and another couple of pounds goes away.

I have plugged my express into the lonestar cab with the vintage neo, and it sounds good with the express. But the cab is bigger than the express and adds some dimension. I would swap out the 5:25 celestion for the vintage neo if the weight was an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm 
Mark II

I got my current Mark V combo used, and it had and Eminence Governor in it. It sounds great. I have an extension cabinet with a neo speaker in it - Eminence Deltalite II. It really opens up the tone when I use both. I haven't tried it with just the Deltalite, but I plan on doing that soon - probably over the holidays.

Experiment with speakers! It's fun and you can learn all kinds of cool things about your amp by doing it. Don't listen to the fraidy cats who think only certain speakers belong with certain manufacturers. That's BS. Everyone's rig has a different signal chain. We play in differently shaped rooms with different floor and wall coverings. All of that stuff affects tone.

Good luck on the adventure!

Partial list of former amps: Bogner Shiva 20th, Diezel Herbert, Diezel Hagen, EVH 5153, Engl Powerball II, Randall Diavlo, Friedman JMP, Voodoo JVM, Fortin JCM800, ElectraDyne.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 am 
Mark I

gag halfrunt wrote:
Good luck on the adventure!

Still haven't made a move yet,but thanks for the replies everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am 
Single Recto

It's worth a shot! I found the C90 to be a really good match with the 5:50 when I tried other speakers. If I was to try a Neo speaker I think I'd look at the Celestion Neo Creamback, though I haven't heard the Eminence.

I have an Express 5:25 1x10 now with an Eminence Copperhead. The Copperhead takes away some of the "honk" that the stock speaker had.
It's a downgrade from the 5:50 (for me, anyway), but I really only use it to practice with and as a grab and go for informal jam sessions. I love it's portability. I generally use a larger Fender style amp for gigs.