Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

5:25 and 5:50's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Lef T
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Lef T » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm currently on the lookout for a more grab n go type of combo and really like the 5.50 + combo.
At 54 lbs. the 5.50 is more lug n go for my 63 year old body.
The C90 is 13 lbs.
A speaker like the Emminence Lil Texas is 3.5 lbs.
That brings the weight down to roughly 45 lbs.
Anyone try this?

polarbare21
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by polarbare21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:48 pm

I feel your pain T...

2 C-spine surgeries, and just saw the doc today, my T-4 is bulged.
I'm lucky enough to feel my fingers enough to play once a week.

I bought a 5:50 plus combo years ago, left it stock. Why mess with "almost perfection".
I used a folding 2 wheel dolly for quite a while.

As things got worse for me, I picked up a 5:50 plus head.

Now I leave the combo at home, and when I travel I take the head and either a 1x12, 2x12 or 2x10 cab, it depends on the room we're playing.

Its much easier to make extra trips to the car instead of 1 trip that ruins my night (and next few days with pain).

Yeah I know its more $, but its where we spend our money. And with both, you will know that amp like the back of your hand.

You got the amp, you like the sound, I don't thing the speaker change will help for very long.

Good luck Brother!

Lef T
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Lef T » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for replying.
I haven't bought the 5.50 + yet.
I really like the combo vs head and cab.
Not sure which direction I'll go yet..

Newysurfer
Mark IV
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:53 am
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Newysurfer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Lef T wrote:I'm currently on the lookout for a more grab n go type of combo and really like the 5.50 + combo.
At 54 lbs. the 5.50 is more lug n go for my 63 year old body.
The C90 is 13 lbs.
A speaker like the Emminence Lil Texas is 3.5 lbs.
That brings the weight down to roughly 45 lbs.
Anyone try this?
No have not heard of anyone doing a positive amp downgrade like this.
Mesa use the Celestion C90 and V30s on all their modern amps for good reason imo.
While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.

If weight is a priority for you Mesa make lighter combo amps than 5:50.
5:25, Mark V 35, TA-30 or............
Consider a 5:50 Head with a separate V30.

Lightest and best of all is the Mark V 25 with a separate cab :mrgreen:
Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

Krek13
Mark III
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Krek13 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Newysurfer wrote: While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.
You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.

User avatar
ricardo loma vista
Mark II
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:25 pm
Location: So Cal
Contact:

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by ricardo loma vista » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm

I haven't done it in my 5:25 express which is much lighter, but I did replace the black shadow in my lonestar special with a celestion g12 vintage neo to reduce the weight. The vintage neo is not identical to the black shadow, but with EQ adjustment, I can get a similar tone which works for me, and I shaved off about 9 pounds. Carry your foots witch and cable separately, and another couple of pounds goes away.

I have plugged my express into the lonestar cab with the vintage neo, and it sounds good with the express. But the cab is bigger than the express and adds some dimension. I would swap out the 5:25 celestion for the vintage neo if the weight was an issue.
Things are never as good or bad as they sound when you first hear them.

gag halfrunt
Mark II
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:42 am
Location: Hell, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by gag halfrunt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:11 pm

I got my current Mark V combo used, and it had and Eminence Governor in it. It sounds great. I have an extension cabinet with a neo speaker in it - Eminence Deltalite II. It really opens up the tone when I use both. I haven't tried it with just the Deltalite, but I plan on doing that soon - probably over the holidays.

Experiment with speakers! It's fun and you can learn all kinds of cool things about your amp by doing it. Don't listen to the fraidy cats who think only certain speakers belong with certain manufacturers. That's BS. Everyone's rig has a different signal chain. We play in differently shaped rooms with different floor and wall coverings. All of that stuff affects tone.

Good luck on the adventure!
Mark V combo, Mark V:25 Head
PRS Singlecuts and McRosies


Partial list of former amps: Bogner Shiva 20th, Diezel Herbert, Diezel Hagen, EVH 5153, Engl Powerball II, Randall Diavlo, Friedman JMP, Voodoo JVM, Fortin JCM800, ElectraDyne.

Lef T
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Lef T » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 am

gag halfrunt wrote: Good luck on the adventure!
Still haven't made a move yet,but thanks for the replies everyone.

User avatar
Don
Single Recto
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Don » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 am

It's worth a shot! I found the C90 to be a really good match with the 5:50 when I tried other speakers. If I was to try a Neo speaker I think I'd look at the Celestion Neo Creamback, though I haven't heard the Eminence.

I have an Express 5:25 1x10 now with an Eminence Copperhead. The Copperhead takes away some of the "honk" that the stock speaker had.
It's a downgrade from the 5:50 (for me, anyway), but I really only use it to practice with and as a grab and go for informal jam sessions. I love it's portability. I generally use a larger Fender style amp for gigs.

Newysurfer
Mark IV
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:53 am
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Newysurfer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 am

Krek13 wrote:
Newysurfer wrote: While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.
You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.
Great Krek - we can both laugh at each other then :mrgreen:
I don't find your statements interesting though
Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

Krek13
Mark III
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Krek13 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:16 am

Newysurfer wrote:
Krek13 wrote:
Newysurfer wrote: While I've not heard any Mesa with Eminence anything I've no doubt it would be a downgrade.
Eminence speakers only suit Fenders imo.
You are a very funny guy, you've never heard a Mesa with Eminence but you got no doubt it would be a downgrade, interesting statement :lol:

On the other hand I have personal experience, I own both Celestion v30 and Eminence legend and Eminence is better for Express series. V30 is too fizzy, especially on the drive channel, because of it's boosted high mids.

Since you also mentioned Fenders, FYI - cleans on the Express and many other Mesa amps are very similar to Fender voicing.
Great Krek - we can both laugh at each other then :mrgreen:
I don't find your statements interesting though
That's ok, I have real experience and I know what I'm talking about.
On the other hand - you are one of those "virtual" guitarists who finds his facts on the internet and then gives advice about gear he never even saw or tried in real life. You probably don't even play guitar.

User avatar
thunda1216
Mark IV
Posts: 522
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by thunda1216 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:31 pm

you know, Eminence made some Black Shadow speakers for Mesa as well...
When Gibsons are outlawed, only outlaws will have Gibsons

User avatar
Don
Single Recto
Posts: 1336
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Don » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm

thunda1216 wrote:you know, Eminence made some Black Shadow speakers for Mesa as well...
Isn't the Fillmore 75 made by Eminence?

Krek13
Mark III
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Krek13 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm

thunda1216 wrote:you know, Eminence made some Black Shadow speakers for Mesa as well...
he wasn't able to google that one :lol:

Lef T
Mark I
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Re: Anyone Replace C90 In 5.50 Express+ With A Neo Speaker?

Post by Lef T » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Don wrote: If I was to try a Neo speaker I think I'd look at the Celestion Neo Creamback, though I haven't heard the Eminence.
I've heard good things about the Neo Creamback too.
I've considered a 5.25 Express Plus,but like the 5.50 plus better.
I wish Mesa would come out with a 35 lb. Kingsnake. :lol:

Post Reply