Express 5:50 Plus concerns

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GADonis

Reaction score
Several months ago my Express Plus 5:50 was stolen. I loved the amp. Sounded great. So I bought a new one to replace it. First thing I noticed that there is a "harshness" to the overall tone that I haven't been able to eliminate. I'm not sure how to describe it other than it seems like a "very sharp pick attack like quality." I thought it might just be the need for the speaker to break in. I had my previous 5:50 for several years so I've been riding it out. It has now been almost 6 months and it is still there and maybe even more noticeable. No amount of knob twiddling seems to get rid of it. Even turning the treble all the way down it still seems to be there. The treble is all gone but the almost "ice pick" like unpleasantness is still there. All of this is on Channel one in Clean running at 25 watts using the preset EQ. The harder my playing attack, the more i hear it. I've decided to swap out the tubes. They should arrive soon, I hope.

Secondly, while twiddling knobs I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. On Channel 2 (Burn) when I turn the treble, mid and bass all the way down the amp goes silent. I don't think I ever did this with my previous amp. Is this normal? I didn't try doing this with Channel 1. I also noticed that I don't seem to be hearing a large variation in tone when adjusting the 3 main EQ knobs on Channel 2. I run this channel with the sliders in a typical V. The harshness also seems present on Channel 2.

Any thoughts?

GADonis said:
On Channel 2 (Burn) when I turn the treble, mid and bass all the way down the amp goes silent. I don't think I ever did this with my previous amp. Is this normal? I didn't try doing this with Channel 1.

This is normal and will happen on both channels.

GADonis said:
Several months ago my Express Plus 5:50 was stolen. I loved the amp. Sounded great. So I bought a new one to replace it. First thing I noticed that there is a "harshness" to the overall tone that I haven't been able to eliminate. I'm not sure how to describe it other than it seems like a "very sharp pick attack like quality." I thought it might just be the need for the speaker to break in. I had my previous 5:50 for several years so I've been riding it out. It has now been almost 6 months and it is still there and maybe even more noticeable. No amount of knob twiddling seems to get rid of it. Even turning the treble all the way down it still seems to be there. The treble is all gone but the almost "ice pick" like unpleasantness is still there. All of this is on Channel one in Clean running at 25 watts using the preset EQ. The harder my playing attack, the more i hear it. I've decided to swap out the tubes. They should arrive soon, I hope.

Secondly, while twiddling knobs I noticed something I hadn't noticed before. On Channel 2 (Burn) when I turn the treble, mid and bass all the way down the amp goes silent. I don't think I ever did this with my previous amp. Is this normal? I didn't try doing this with Channel 1. I also noticed that I don't seem to be hearing a large variation in tone when adjusting the 3 main EQ knobs on Channel 2. I run this channel with the sliders in a typical V. The harshness also seems present on Channel 2.

Any thoughts?

1st issue - possibly the new amp has different tubes - have you checked.
2nd issue - yes normal

I got rid of all my combos... use nothing but heads and cabs. that eliminates a lot of issues and makes testing different speakers easier.

Latest posts

Back