Expansion Cabinet assist

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whale

Reaction score
I read up on the Express manual and scoured the search results, but I haven't found a definitive answer. I was wondering if someone on the board can help me out.

I have an Express 5:50 Plus combo (1x12). I want to run a 4 ohm expansion cabinet (two 8 ohm speakers running in parallel) along with the 8 ohm combo speaker.

When I hook up the 4 ohm expansion cabinet to either of the 4 ohm speaker jacks along with the combo speaker the tone becomes noticeably darker and bass-ier. From what I've read, this is due to the amp running cooler and not pushing as hard.

"Mis-matching - When running a higher resistance (for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet), a slightly different feel and response may be noticed. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler. "

Is it possible to connect both a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm load onto the amp at the same time while avoiding the issue of the darker tone?

Whale said:
I read up on the Express manual and scoured the search results, but I haven't found a definitive answer. I was wondering if someone on the board can help me out.

I have an Express 5:50 Plus combo (1x12). I want to run a 4 ohm expansion cabinet (two 8 ohm speakers running in parallel) along with the 8 ohm combo speaker.

When I hook up the 4 ohm expansion cabinet to either of the 4 ohm speaker jacks along with the combo speaker the tone becomes noticeably darker and bass-ier. From what I've read, this is due to the amp running cooler and not pushing as hard.

"Mis-matching - When running a higher resistance (for example: 8 ohm output into 16 ohm cabinet), a slightly different feel and response may be noticed. A slight mismatch can provide a darker smoother tone with a little less output and attack. This response is a result of the amplifier running a bit cooler. "

Is it possible to connect both a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm load onto the amp at the same time while avoiding the issue of the darker tone?

You are dropping the amp below the recommended 4 ohm load, and risk damaging your output tubes, followed by output transformer damage. 2.66 ohms is not appropriate for the amp...

LOL you will destroy your amp, don't do that...the two "4 ohm" outputs are for connecting two 8 ohm cabinets/speakers at the same time, for example in stereo setup with two 8 ohm cabs...

If you have two 8 ohm speakers in your cabinet you should wire them separately, each speaker to it's own input jack, and connect them with 2 cables into those two "4 ohm" outputs on the amp...that's how I'm using it because I had two 8 ohm speakers before I bought the mesa...

Latest posts

Back