5:50 Express Delay and OD Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew65

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just managed to pick up a used 5:50 express here in the U.K.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable delay to put through the fx loop? I know this can be a bit hit and miss, I was considering a TC Electronic Flashback or MXR Carbon copy ( different animals I know ).

The range of clean to driven are just great but was considering something to push the amp a little harder at the front end without adding too much colour.

Thinking of a Maxon OD 808 or perhaps TC Mojo Mojo.

Does anyone have experience with any of these pedals with this amp.

Great forum by the way, some very helpful stuff on here.

Thanks in Advance

Andrew.

I just picked up the Electro Harmonix Canyon Delay/Looper. Was deciding between the TC Flashback X4, Boss DD-7 and the Canyon. I'm putting it through a few amps. Mesa Quad Preamp at home, and a Mark IV for gigs. Sounds very clean through the effects loop. All of the modes sound really awesome. I probably wouldn't use all of them, but the echo and tape delay modes are my favs so far. The looper is a plus

I can't say enough about strymon and their delay pedals. The el capistan is a tape style delay and is amazing. The DIG is also fantastic, I plan an buying one soon. They're expensive but I think they're worth every penny. I also own a carbon copy and I think it is a quality pedal with great sounds. It's a darker sound though. Good for variety if you own multiple delay pedals but if you can only have one the tc flashback might be a better choice as it can do more sounds. I think mxr makes another carbon copy that is brighter. You'll have to do some research and find out what kind of delay sound your after. A lot of fun choices out there but in my experience strymon rules them all.

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

Just taken delivery of

TC Electronic Flashback
TC Electronic Mojo Mojo
TC Electronic Dark Matter

Currently using a Japanese Tokai Love Rock with Gotoh vintage Paf style pickups, probably close to classic 57's.

I Have owned Gibson Les Paul Standards, but this gets me to the same place with tone and Quality at about half the price.

The Flashback is a keeper great delay with lots of variation. The toneprint app for the phone is brilliant. Sound great in the FX loop no problems at all.

Now to the MoJo Mojo, its a quality pedal and sounded good ( Not great ) on the Clean channel lots of grit, and a possibility if you wanted to add a third channel to the amp. For me though I can dial better overdrive sounds from the amp without the pedal up front using the other channels, crunch being my go to at the moment. Also tried it as a clean boost with the drive backed right off and the level at Max but it didn't seem to be pushing things much harder.

The Dark Matter is a higher gain version of the Mojo and again its a quality pedal, but for me the burn channel gives better high gain sounds.

So The Mojo and Dark matter are on their way back to Amazon and I'm plugged straight back into the front of the amp.

As a footnote I also tried a leech volume Box in the FX loop, Makes no difference at all when you crank the amp and use the box to keep the volume down, If anything with the Amp volume at 3 o clock is starts to lose some clarity, I don't know if this is the Power tubes or the volume box, but all said and done the Amp sounds less spongy without the box and the volume backed off running at 5 Watts.

So for me Just The Express is great just with its own foot switch a good delay.

I use the MXR Carbon Copy on both boards and is excellent.

I have the TC MojoMojo pedal on one of my boards w/5:50+ and am very pleased with its overall performance.

Andrew65 said:
Hi all.

Just managed to pick up a used 5:50 express here in the U.K.

Can anyone recommend a reasonable delay to put through the fx loop? I know this can be a bit hit and miss, I was considering a TC Electronic Flashback or MXR Carbon copy ( different animals I know ).

The range of clean to driven are just great but was considering something to push the amp a little harder at the front end without adding too much colour.

Thinking of a Maxon OD 808 or perhaps TC Mojo Mojo.

Does anyone have experience with any of these pedals with this amp.

Great forum by the way, some very helpful stuff on here.

Thanks in Advance

Andrew.

Good choice on Flashback - best delay $$ can buy imo,
I can highly recommend Maxon OD808 also as a tube screamer and booster.
If you want the best & don't mind paying a little more look at the Analogman mod'ed version

Latest posts

Back