Express Plus 5:50 output transformer size

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcourtjr

Reaction score
I noticed that the output transformer on this is somewhat small. I asked Mesa but all I got was that Randy and the engineers carefully pick their componenents etc...

I have a Marshall JMP 50 and its ouptut trannie is twice as large. Anyone know the scoop? Generally it is said that larger transformers = better but a few people have said otherwise. I do notice the mark v 90 transformer looks a lot bigger.

You shouldn't worry about that. My 5:25 non plus also has undersized trafos but it sounds great and it can really take a beating so don't worry.

I think the mesa transformers are fine at least up to the 50w range.. I replaced a perfectly good OT on my Express 5:50 with a Mercury Trafo and frankly couldn't hear a significant difference... except during the "play in" when things got pretty psychedilic...

Have heard that mesa trafos "might" be underdimensioned in some cases, but up to 50w I think they are fine.

Latest posts

Back