The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Express Plus 5:50
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:52 am 
Bottle Rocket

So I recently bought a new Express Plus 5:50. This was to replace my Plus 5:50 that was stolen. I had the original for almost 3 years and absolutely loved it. My pedal board was also stolen and I've recently finished building a new one that is almost identical. There are a couple of pedals I didn't replace (POG2, Mini-Wah, and Mini Deja-Vibe (cream)) and added a couple of new ones (TC Electronics The Dreamscape and Mini Deja-Vibe 3).

I've only had the amp a little over a week so it doesn't have many hours. I've set it up just like my original setup but I've noticed a harshness in the higher frequencies that wasn't there with my original amp. As far as I can tell there is no difference in this brand new amp and the 3 year old amp so I'm thinking the difference is a brand new speaker versus a broken in speaker. The original amp I bought was a floor demo so it likely had gone through a break-in already so I never heard it brand new. I've been reading that speaker break-in should happen in the first 50-100 hours of playing and then after that any changes will be minimal.

I guess I don't really have a question so much as I'm looking for some confirmation that speaker break in is the likely issue. Are there any design differences between a 2017 and 2014/2015 model. I really want to get back to what I had. My original 5:50 was the closest I've ever come to actually falling in love with an amplifier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm 
Mark III

Yes, it is quite possible and likely.

I have a 2x12 Vertical Rectifier cab that sounded like ass brand new. After about 2 months worth of practice and shows, it started sounding really good. I find the louder I run it, the faster new speakers/cabs break in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:21 pm 
Bottle Rocket

So tonight at practice I did two things. I rolled the highs off quite a bit from what normal settings had been and I faced the amp backwards so the speaker was facing a wall. Sounded pretty darn good. I rolled the highs off a little too much but I was really liking what I heard.

Also got to play with my new TC Electronics The Dreamscape pedal. Really liking the chorus and flanger settings.