Got my "new to me" 5:50 Plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royslead

Reaction score
I sold my 5:25 to help fund the purchase of a newer 5:50 Plus. I'm not so sure it was the right move. I like all the features of the 50, but there are some differences. For one, the weight (both are/were 1x12 combos. The 50 is HEAVY by comparison, almost as much as my Mark IV. The tone is obviously different (I had really GOOD tone with that 25, but I also had a Greenback in lieu of the Vintage 30). Now, I'm spending time trying to find tone I like; and I planned on having to do so, but I think I am going to have to change the speaker as well. Any suggestions? Want a Greenback type sound, but need higher Wattage rating. I am thinking a WGS ET-65. Anyone use one of those or Creamback =65? Also looking for setting ideas. I play classic and 80's rock. Not necessarily looking to home in on Marshall sound (though I know that is the sound of the music genres I play), otherwise I would have bought a Marshall. I'm looking for clear, good overdriven sounds.

I wanted the 50 because I wanted more headroom, power, and features. The amp I got, though used, looks about new, except for the speaker baffle inside, where it appears the screws used to mount the caster plates have missed their mark. Otherwise, cosmetically and functionally, it is perfect.

Not much to offer here except a similar situation, though I haven't pulled the trigger on the 525 disposal yet. My 525 is the older 1x10 but I just upgraded it with a Tone Tubby 40/40 so it really has improved tone over the original. I've been hankering for a 1x12 upgrade (Express +, either 25 or 50; Mark V25, or even a full Mark V) but I can't really commit and I think I will stay put for now or until a good used deal comes online that I can't pass up. The small form factor of my 525 is a pretty strong argument in its favor, plus the recent speaker, tube, and shop inspection cost me almost $400, so even breaking even is a lost cause.

The 525s and 550s are very different beasts though, different tube bias etc etc. Using yours as a case study I may keep my 525 even when a great deal on something else pops up!

Cheers

I probably could have kept the 5:25, but have been amassing more amps than I have room or need. I miss the simple grab and go of the light weight amp. Don't get my previous post wrong about the tone, the 5:50 has great tone; I just REALLY had the 5:25 dialed in.

Back