5:25 plus vs 5:50 plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royslead

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new head. I have a 5:25 1x12 combo (non-plus). Since I will gig with this, I am considering the extra headroom a 5:50 gives. Does anyone have both or has anyone compared both to give advice on whether there are tonal differences between the two? Pros / cons of either?

thanks

royslead said:
I am looking at getting a new head. I have a 5:25 1x12 combo (non-plus). Since I will gig with this, I am considering the extra headroom a 5:50 gives. Does anyone have both or has anyone compared both to give advice on whether there are tonal differences between the two? Pros / cons of either?

thanks

I owned both until recently. I sold them both however. The 5:50 was running through a 2x12 vertical Rectifier cab. It had more headroom and a thicker tone due to the 6L6s. However, setting the overall tone between the two was very similar.

bendo said:
royslead said:

thanks

I owned both until recently. I sold them both however. The 5:50 was running through a 2x12 vertical Rectifier cab. It had more headroom and a thicker tone due to the 6L6s. However, setting the overall tone between the two was very similar.

Thank you. Can I ask - why you sold them? My intent is in replacing my Mark IV with either of these, in effort to downsize, and keep my practice rig similar (the older 5:25). However, I have not yet committed to do so (doing more research). It may sound crazy, but I like the simplicity of the Express by comparison, and I get real good tone with it.

royslead said:
bendo said:
royslead said:

thanks

Thank you. Can I ask - why you sold them? My intent is in replacing my Mark IV with either of these, in effort to downsize, and keep my practice rig similar (the older 5:25). However, I have not yet committed to do so (doing more research). It may sound crazy, but I like the simplicity of the Express by comparison, and I get real good tone with it.

I just missed the tone of the DC3. I got an opportunity to buy my old amp back, so the Expresses were sold when I found a 2nd DC3.

However, I do not think the Express can replace the versatility of the Mark IV. Just not in the same league. Yes, the Express preamp provides much more simplicity. But, the Mark is just far and away a much more versatile amplifier.

That being said, the Express Plus is a fantastic amplifier that can cover a wide range of tones. Great clean channel and reverb.

Only reason I would own a complex, multi-channel amp like the Mark series is to run two 6L6 in class A TRIODE mode. and for that, I would prefer a simulclass mark III - the IIc+s are ridiculously expensive.
those amps with all those bells and whistles? Needlessly complex and expensive.
I own two Express 50s, one older with Mercury output trafo, one newer + model. Both excellent amps, very versatile. They sound SUPER in triode mode.
I own a Maverick with a rectifier tube, running EL-84s, and a Studio .22.
These are all the amps I will ever need until I become bigger than the Beatles, at which point I MAY need a stadium rig someday - something like Santana's mesa.
You don't need huge amounts of power, you need TONE - the PA system can do the rest.

himmelhund said:
Only reason I would own a complex, multi-channel amp like the Mark series is to run two 6L6 in class A TRIODE mode. and for that, I would prefer a simulclass mark III - the IIc+s are ridiculously expensive.
those amps with all those bells and whistles? Needlessly complex and expensive.
I own two Express 50s, one older with Mercury output trafo, one newer + model. Both excellent amps, very versatile. They sound SUPER in triode mode.
I own a Maverick with a rectifier tube, running EL-84s, and a Studio .22.
These are all the amps I will ever need until I become bigger than the Beatles, at which point I MAY need a stadium rig someday - something like Santana's mesa.
You don't need huge amounts of power, you need TONE - the PA system can do the rest.

This is very much along the lines of some of more recent thoughts. I like the Mark IV, don't get me wrong, and I am running it in triode mode. I just really like the tone and simplicity of my older 5:25 (its a 1x12, with a Greenback I swapped in). I can probably sell the Mark and nearly cover the expense of a brand new head.

Latest posts

Back