Tone difference between channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elongator65

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to Forum. First Mesa. Express 5:25 Plus combo. Love it.

Question: I notice a tone difference between channel 1 (clean/crunch) and channel 2 (blues/burn). Channel 1 has a fuller, fatter tone. Channel 2 is thinner sounding. Gain, EQ settings, master, set the same for each channel. I didn't notice this when I first bought it a year ago but that could be because I was getting used to the amp. Noticed it a couple of months ago. Has anyone else noticed this on their 5:25+? Thanks.

elongator65 said:

Question: I notice a tone difference between channel 1 (clean/crunch) and channel 2 (blues/burn). Channel 1 has a fuller, fatter tone. Channel 2 is thinner sounding. Gain, EQ settings, master, set the same for each channel. I didn't notice this when I first bought it a year ago but that could be because I was getting used to the amp. Noticed it a couple of months ago. Has anyone else noticed this on their 5:25+? Thanks.

Not trying to be a smart-alec, but have you read the manual? The Clean channel will be fuller and fatter. The Blues has a bit more gain and it is aimed at single note soloing. That's on page 3 and 4 of the manual. So yes, that's normal. I have a 5:25+ as well. After I spent the first couple of hours noodling with the amp after it arrived I popped a beer open, sat down, and spent the next 2 hours reading the manual from front to back. Best 2 hours I've spent with the amp. Mesa's are unlike any other amp. Takes a while to get the hang of setting all the controls.

Glad you like it (I love mine as well). Welcome to the family!

Al

Thanks for your reply, Al. The crunch mode in channel 1 is even higher gain than the blues mode, yet it seems to have fuller tone than channel 2 modes. That's why I wasn't sure if it was normal. I'll reread manual. Forgot most of what was in it. At 65, can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone manuals.

Thanks again.

JT

elongator65 said:
Thanks for your reply, Al. The crunch mode in channel 1 is even higher gain than the blues mode, yet it seems to have fuller tone than channel 2 modes. That's why I wasn't sure if it was normal. I'll reread manual. Forgot most of what was in it. At 65, can't remember what I had for breakfast let alone manuals.

Thanks again.

JT
Hey now! I'm sixty two and and old dog can learn new tricks. Saturday b4 last I bought an early 5:25 Express head (pre e/q) and after a week I settled in using the "blues" channel for clean playing and the "crunch" one for overdrive. Sounds like a million bucks!

elongator65 said:

Thanks again.

JT

:lol: I feel your pain.....I'll be 60 next birthday. Yes, the gain order is Clean, Blues, crunch, then burn. Each one has higher gain and louder volume at the same settings, in that order. As Texas said, I've also used Blues for clean and crunch for my solos in the past. That's the beauty of the Express Series - lots of flexibility in a cost-effective package!!

Al

Well, I went back and read pages 3 and 4 of the manual, experimented with the suggested settings for "cleaning up" the blues channel and wham!, it all sunk in. It's not just about reading it, it's about really understanding it. Indeed, as Al pointed out, these amps are so versatile, I don't think I'll ever stop discovering different flavors. I knew when I bought it, Mesa's had a reputation for this, but didn't realize how deep the well was. It's just adding to the fun. Anyway, thanks again guys (especially you Al) for the solid advise and guidance.

JT

elongator65 said:
Well, I went back and read pages 3 and 4 of the manual, experimented with the suggested settings for "cleaning up" the blues channel and wham!, it all sunk in. It's not just about reading it, it's about really understanding it. Indeed, as Al pointed out, these amps are so versatile, I don't think I'll ever stop discovering different flavors. I knew when I bought it, Mesa's had a reputation for this, but didn't realize how deep the well was. It's just adding to the fun. Anyway, thanks again guys (especially you Al) for the solid advise and guidance.

JT

Happy to be of service... :mrgreen:

Al

amrose57 said:
elongator65 said:

Not trying to be a smart-alec, but have you read the manual? The Clean channel will be fuller and fatter. The Blues has a bit more gain and it is aimed at single note soloing. That's on page 3 and 4 of the manual. So yes, that's normal. I have a 5:25+ as well. After I spent the first couple of hours noodling with the amp after it arrived I popped a beer open, sat down, and spent the next 2 hours reading the manual from front to back. Best 2 hours I've spent with the amp. Mesa's are unlike any other amp. Takes a while to get the hang of setting all the controls.

Glad you like it (I love mine as well). Welcome to the family!

Al

Hey Al - that's a novel idea.
Seems to be very unpopular these days but I do the same thing with every bit of musical gear I buy :mrgreen:

Back