Express 5:25 Plus Combo Speaker Change Walkthrough

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumy73

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I posted previously in search of a "how to" for 5:25 plus combo speaker change. I was kindly directed to a walkthrough but learned it was missing some steps. Maybe you guys knew what to expect but not me, as I am relatively new to Mesa amps.

The reason motivating this swap was that I disliked the piercing, spiking high end of the Vintage 30. The amp was too fatiguing on the ears to play. I replaced it with a Greenback and the amp sounds smooth, warm and a little bit spongy in a good way. Using my Les Paul tonight, I was getting nice classic rock and jazzy rock tones. (I did not have time to dial in other sounds). I liked what I was hearing, and this new setup breathes life into this very nice amp that was going unplayed. My only perceived drawback is that in a band context, the is likely to lose some cut and would need miking, which I tend to do anyway.

Tools Needed/Suggested:

Phillips head screwdriver; rachet wrench 9mm, soldering iron with desoldering braid or gun; solder.

1. Remove back panel (no need to remove front grill).
2. Unseat reverb tank. There is a single screw on the middle outer edge of the tank. Carefully slide out tank. It is a bit tricky; the key is to slide up then out by pulling the tank diagonale to the cab.
3. Use rachet wrench to remove speaker.
4. Desolder speaker cord from speaker (my two cents: it is a minor PITA that Mesa soldered it.)
5. Solder cord to new speaker and install; of course one could solder to metal connectors instead for ease of removal in the future.
6. Re-attach reverb tank. Carefully slide back into place.
7. Re-attach back panel.

Hope that helps others.

Back