Express 5:50 - NAD and footswitch issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoule79

Reaction score
I just purchased my first Mesa, an original version 5:50, after a lifetime of Fender amps. So far i'm blown away by the sounds coming from this amp; it may be the amp i've always been looking for.

I bought it second hand and did not get a chance to try out the foot switch when I bought it. Plugging in at home I found that the foot switch doesn't appear to be working properly.

The behavior is like this: When the channel select toggle on the front is set to the foot switch option, the foot switch does not light up and appears to do nothing when pressing down the buttons. Ditto with the toggle set to channel 1.

When the toggle is set into channel 2 the switch works, kind of. I can use the switch to turn on reverb and the contour, and when I press the channel button the light goes off, but it stays in channel 2 and the reverb and contour are no longer switchable.

The pins on the cable all look fine, and there does not appear to be any damage to the foot switch or cables.

Any experts out there have any idea what the issue could be? Bad switch, relay?

Could I also just get a basic 1/4 channel switcher and plug that into the channel input on the back? I really only care about changing channels, i'm not too concerned about the reverb or contour, i'm more of a set it and forget it guy.

Thanks for any help you can provide .

I didn't like the 4 button that came with my 5:25 Express which uses the 8 pin jacks. I never used the EQ or Reverb switchs and wanted something more compact so a I bought a third party two separate buttun stomp box size foorswitch. It has a stereo jack on the switch back so a I use a cord that splits on the amp end and go into the Solo and Channel jacks. Even has LED lights that I just use a battery, they last for a LONG time as long as you remember to switch them so the LEDs aren't lit when you stop playing.

This one
http://www.brightonion.co.uk/dual-latching-footswitch-pedal/

The is thread

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70774

Yes, you can get a single footswitch and plug into the back. I do that with my Express 5:25+ for the channel and the solo. Much smaller footswitch than the stock one.

Al

Thanks for the responses. I tried a single footswitch, and it kind of works. If I plug into the channel 1/4 jack it doesn't do anything, but the Mesa footswitch when there is a load in the channel input, starts working on the clean channel, allowing me to turn off the reverb and eq, but not change channels.

Oddly enough, when I plug into the reverb 1/4 input I can switch channels, but unfortunately the reverb is off, and can't be turned back on.

I contacted Mesa and they told me to bring it into an authorized retailer to ensure that the cable for the switch is the proper 5 pin, and not a midi cable. After that its likely off to the shop :(

Did these amps have an issue with the ground connection between the cable and the footswitch? Make sure that's making good contact.

Back