Blackface tone on 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sometimesyoudie

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post

I've got an express 5:50, the original not the plus. It has a brand new set of Jj tubes. I pretty much exclusively use the clean channel with the gain up and just pedal in my overdrive. What I wanted to know is how to get this thing closer to blackface fender tone. That's my ideal tone. This does a pretty decent job but it doesn't really have the fender sparkle and glassiness.

I know that these things take a minute to eq to taste so I was wondering what eq settings might get me close to blackface tone?

Also I have to think speaker replacement would do wonders in this thing. The stock black shadow can be pretty dark. I was thinking a v30 or a Webber

What do you guys think?

I gota somewhat blackface tone out of mine with the contour set to about 11:00. It wasn't exactly like my Vibrolux Reverb (even with the same speakers) but it was good.

Has anyone ever swapped speakers with success? I had an f100 with vintage 30's that had way more fender chime and punch and I know the amps are really similar so I reckon it has to come down to speakers

I found the C90 in my 5:50 to be very warm, fat and smooth sounding. An Eminence Tonker had more punch but lost the smoothness.
I don't recall if I ever tried a Jensen style speaker in it. That's be the way for go for blackface tone and, considering the difference the Tonker made, I imagine an American voiced speaker would make as big a difference (but in a different way).

All I can say is that you should familiarize yourself with ToneTubby speakers before you make a final choice.
I have a couple mesa 4x10 cabs that I outfitted with a mixture of speakers. They came with 4 alnicos apiece (jensen no-names in the older one, and labeled jensens in the newer Lonestar box).
I have now set both boxes up with a mixture of:
Alnico
Ceramic
Tone-tubby
Others
All I can say is that tonetubbies are fantastic speakers, they take some breaking in but once they are ready they have incredible clarity and responsiveness.
I have a couple TTs in each box, and I keep a mix of alnico and ceramic which is a popular combination in any case, regardless of whether you're using hempcones or not.
Other than that: for low-power playing you can't beat alnicos... ceramic starts to come into its own when you are playing higher power outputs where there's usually more bass than you need anyway.

The reason I bought Boogie and not Fender is because I hate that glassy top end spike. Boogie don't do it. I like the Blackface sound without that glassiness that Boogie do. You get it by turning down the mid. And try using the contour too. It's a lot better than the Fender clean. It's rounder, warmer, softer, sweeter. It's not like a razor across the face like Fender clean.

The problem I find it that for some mad reason, the tones are volumes. If you turn all the tones down, the volume is off.

Turning down the mid to about 8 or 9 oclock and turning the bass down to get the sound I want means there's hardly any volume! You can easily talk over it and be heard no problem. When you turn up the gain and master volume to try and get it to at least bedroom level all you get is loud mush.

I tried to record and even though the mic was on the grill and the amp was up over halfway hissing it's head off, I STILL had to turn the mic input up almost full to get a level to record with.

I've got an F50 and 5.50. They're both like it. I'm thinking of selling them both.

Back