Dummy loads, combos and power amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royslead

Reaction score
So I have a 5:25 Express 1x12 combo. I like this amp a lot, but I think it suffers from a lack of power in the band situation / live play that I do. I would like to use the effects send and send the signal from the pre-amp into a rack- mounted power amp that I have. There wil be nothing plugged into the effects loop return jack. Since it is a higher powered, tube power amp - it should provide the head room I seek. Now, in doing this; and if it works the way I want, I may decide to rack mount the Express. If I do that, I think I will need a dummy load plugged into the speaker output to protect the output transformer. I believe I can build one out of a single, 8 or 16 Ohm, 50 watt resistor or a series circuit of 4 Ohm 50 watt resistors. Has anyone else done this? or is it possible, practical and safe to just pull the two power tubes?

it is possible, just google "dummy load tube amp" and you will get the scheme on the first page...
or jest get an attenuator like webber mass lite...I bought one 2nd hand for my express and it works perfectly...it also has a line out which gives you more options like stereo setup or directly to PA etc...

i'm using webbers' line out here through digital cab sim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipPNoGjyAYQ

royslead said:
So I have a 5:25 Express 1x12 combo. I like this amp a lot, but I think it suffers from a lack of power in the band situation / live play that I do. I would like to use the effects send and send the signal from the pre-amp into a rack- mounted power amp that I have. There wil be nothing plugged into the effects loop return jack. Since it is a higher powered, tube power amp - it should provide the head room I seek. Now, in doing this; and if it works the way I want, I may decide to rack mount the Express. If I do that, I think I will need a dummy load plugged into the speaker output to protect the output transformer. I believe I can build one out of a single, 8 or 16 Ohm, 50 watt resistor or a series circuit of 4 Ohm 50 watt resistors. Has anyone else done this? or is it possible, practical and safe to just pull the two power tubes?

have you thought if you pull the power tubes out of the 5:25 & run it thru another rack mounted amp you'll completely change the tone & lose your 5:25 as a stand alone amp.

If you wanna keep the 5:25 tone I'd use this Fryette Power Station for your application.
Will give you 50w with 6L6 tubes, transparent tone plus an effects loop - great product :mrgreen:

http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

plus if you want your 5:25 alone just unplug it

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into them. I would however, still want to hear if anyone has done what I proposed - actually building a dummy load or whether or not pulling the output tubes works.

Back