MESA LoneStar 23" Single 12" (MC90 Black Shadow) Loaded Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
Up front... I want to make it clear that, in general, I AM a fan of the MC90 Black Shadow speaker.

Lately, I've been playing my MESA/Boogie Express 5:50+ through one of my MESA LoneStar 23" single 12" (MC90 Black Shadow) loaded cabs. I wasn't aware, at first, that this specific speaker is prone to some pretty severe cone cry on notes played on the high E string above the 12th fret (primarily noticed when bending notes upward). In general, as stated above, I really like the MC90 Black Shadow (tone wise) with this amp, but the cone cry is highly noticeable and unacceptable.

What speaker is available that would be similar to the MC90 Black Shadow - minus the tendency toward cone cry?*

-Thanks!

*The only speaker I'm not too interested in is the Celestion V30!

I let this post "ride" for a few weeks to see if the problem is my imagination (or any responses to my original post). I've also tweaked the knobs on the amp quite a bit as well as the sliders on the graphic EQ. There is no change. I'm still getting cone cry with pretty much any distortion setting. It sounds OK clean. The other two MC90s I have still sound great. The one I have in my 5:50 non plus combo was re-coned a year ago and has held up really well, tone wise. I had to have that one re-coned due to a little accident that ended up as a hole punched in the outer edge of the cone. When I got it back I was really happy with the results. It's just a tad mellower/smoother than it was originally.

I don't feel comfortable sending this one off to be re-coned if it won't cure the problem.

Again, suggestions are welcome!

Latest posts

Back