NAD: Express 5:50+ Combo!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzphan89

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been the proud owner of a 5:25+ for the past two years, however I recently decided to downsize (more mobile if I want to relocate, basically) so I decided to sell my tube amps and shop around for a solid, versatile amp that sounds killer both on stage and at home. I always knew I preferred the 6L6/6V6 tube tone, with my Fuchs, Fenders, and Carr amps having beautiful cleans but the OD being a little off one way or the other. The 5:25+ "Burn" channel was it for me, but the cleans got too furry, too fast on the volume knob. The 5:50+ fixes that, with adding a little low end girth at the same settings. I was able to AB the amps at length too, which was helpful.

I was very familiar with the Express preamp, and so I wanted to stay Mesa - I've owned Mark III, Nomads, and an F-50 and really knew what I wanted in an amp. Could I find a used Express 5:50+? I really was hoping I could, and I did. I'm so glad to have the solo features and GEQ options still. Although the preamp is identical, it feels like a totally new and different amp! The cleans are fuller and punchier IMHO, and the 5W mode is much more usable at home. The vibe of the Carr is in there, and I think on 25W mode it will be as bouncy and full as the ODS I had or the Slant 6v, IMHO of course.

I stumbled into my local store and low and behold - they had one. It followed me home, and I am LOVING IT!

Its got a little less than 4 years left on the warranty, and I think I got a great deal on it. If you guys are looking at Mesa gear, I highly recommend Guitar Gallery of NH. Great people. The amp is a real looker too!

The only question I have is, does Mesa make a drop-in logo badge? I'd like to replace the Mesa Engineering logo with a "Boogie" badge on the grille cloth.

I have a gig tonight with the band I play keys in, so I won't be able to dive in more until Friday. On another note, I have a Steamboat Hemp 100 I am very excited to try with this amp, and might consider a Thiele to house the speaker. Of course, the C90 is a great pair with this amp.

Latest posts

Back