Express Plus Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I had an Express 5:25 1x10 combo.
I loved the clean channel on it, hated the noise, and never bonded with the lead channel.

I'm looking for a small, versatile, grab and go combo but have some Express questions.

Is the high gain channel noisy? Hiss, Crackles, Pops, etc....

Is the low gain channel noisy?

Is there any noise when changing channels?

Is there a drop in sound when changing channels?

Is there a loss of reverb for a second when changing channels?

Is the Loop noisy when used (assuming no ground loops)?

Can the Solo be used as a Master Volume if I leave it turned on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an Archon 25, but it is really noisy when I use the loop. Time to look for something else.
I'm torn between the Rectoverb 25 combo and the Express 5:25 Plus combo.
Not interested in the Mark V:25, didn't like the full size model at all!

Monsta-Tone said:
Years ago, I had an Express 5:25 1x10 combo.
I loved the clean channel on it, hated the noise, and never bonded with the lead channel.

I'm looking for a small, versatile, grab and go combo but have some Express questions.

Is the high gain channel noisy? Hiss, Crackles, Pops, etc....

Is the low gain channel noisy?

Is there any noise when changing channels?

Is there a drop in sound when changing channels?

Is there a loss of reverb for a second when changing channels?

Is the Loop noisy when used (assuming no ground loops)?

Can the Solo be used as a Master Volume if I leave it turned on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an Archon 25, but it is really noisy when I use the loop. Time to look for something else.
I'm torn between the Rectoverb 25 combo and the Express 5:25 Plus combo.
Not interested in the Mark V:25, didn't like the full size model at all!

I have a 5/25+ combo and love it.

Is the high gain channel noisy? Hiss, Crackles, Pops, etc.... No more than any other high gain amp I have owned. If in Class A mode (15 or 5 Watt) there can be a little noise.

Is the low gain channel noisy? No, mine is dead quiet and sounds like the clean channel on a Lone Star I tested out.

Is there any noise when changing channels? Only in Class A mode and only if the other channel is on 25 watts. If both are in Class A mode there is no pop on mine. Mesa also details this in the manual.

Is there a drop in sound when changing channels? No more than any other Mesa Amp that I've owned. My old Rectoverb 50 was terrible. I have had no issues with my Express +

Is there a loss of reverb for a second when changing channels? Not that I've noticed. Being that Mesa mutes the circuit while switching, there might be a minute loss. I do not run much reverb on my lead channel, so I have not noticed anything.

Is the Loop noisy when used (assuming no ground loops)? I do not use my loop.

Can the Solo be used as a Master Volume if I leave it turned on? Kind of. You will not be able to really turn the amp silent with the Solo, but you could technically use it as kind of a Master. This is probably my only gripe with my Express, is no global master volume control.

I had a Rectoverb 25 before the Express and originally came from a DC 3 that I had for years. I did not care for the Rectoverbs Lead channel. Too buzzy.

Thanks!
I think what is sparking the GAS is the fact that I really miss my old DC-3. We bought a house earlier this year and I had to sell a bunch of stuff to help raise the down payment. At the time I had 6 amps and wasn't playing the DC much. I'm really wishing that I still had it now though......

My Express is the replacement for my DC3. While I loved that amp, it did have some reliability issues. I tried the Rectoverb 25 first and could not bond with it. The shop I bought it from worked me out a deal to swap it + cash for a new Express 5/25+ 1x12 combo. I have very happy with the switch. Personally, I think the Express is a bit mor versatile than the DC3 was.

Besides, if you get an Express, we will have all kinds of mods in no time flat :mrgreen: Like maybe a global master volume!

bendo said:
My Express is the replacement for my DC3. While I loved that amp, it did have some reliability issues. I tried the Rectoverb 25 first and could not bond with it. The shop I bought it from worked me out a deal to swap it + cash for a new Express 5/25+ 1x12 combo. I have very happy with the switch. Personally, I think the Express is a bit mor versatile than the DC3 was.

Besides, if you get an Express, we will have all kinds of mods in no time flat :mrgreen: Like maybe a global master volume!
:lol: I was just looking at the drawings yesterday.........for that exact reason.

Monsta-Tone said:
bendo said:

:lol: I was just looking at the drawings yesterday.........for that exact reason.

See anything that stuck out for adding a master volume? I looked at the schematic for the DC3 and it appeared that the Master volume was a pot on PI stage. Seemed like the same thing could be done on an Express +?

You could try replacing R47 (100k resistor) with a 100k or 250k pot.
R47 is in series with the signal going into the Solo pot.
Not sure it would work, it may cause weird issues, might work perfectly!

Monsta-Tone said:
You could try replacing R47 (100k resistor) with a 100k or 250k pot.
R47 is in series with the signal going into the Solo pot.
Not sure it would work, it may cause weird issues, might work perfectly!

Are you looking at the Express or Express + schematic?

Put a pot in the loop and you have an instant master volume. Or even easier put a volume pedal in the loop.

Latest posts

Back