Best Rack Mount Processor for Express 5:50+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leathan

Reaction score
I've owned an Express 5:50+ for over a year now and have been getting by with a digitech RP500 plugged into the effects loop for all delay-based effects like chorus, phase, etc.

The problem of course is that the RP500 is really a floor unit and "wants" to be plugged directly into the amp's input , wheras the Express has an effects loop and seems to be optimized for some kind of a rack-mount unit.

Just looking for some general advice as to what units others may have used with the Express (or other FX-loop Mesas) and how they perform.

I must say: I'm having the damnedest time identifying a unit that will really meet my (fairly minimal) needs. I should mention I'm really not interested in amp/cabinet models and simulations, I'm quite satisfied with my Mesa amp and cab. Just wanting some chorus, delay, etc.

I look forward to any suggestions you might have.

Have to say I have never seen the distinction between floor/amp input and rack/fx loop - is this a difference in output levels? On my 5:50 + I have a stomp board with standard tuner-wah-compressor-od-fuzz-chorus-delay - using the 4 cable method the first half is into the input and the chorus-delay into the fx loop - I assume you could do this with a rack unit as well?

To me, the point of a pedal board is to change your sound from a distance, say, 10,15, 20 feet away from the amp.

Alternately, the point of an effects loop is to provide a short (a foot at most), clean signal path between pre-amp ---> effects ---> and power amp. Some effects really do sound much clearer and better-defined "in-the-loop".

If you want your pedal board, say, 15 feet from your amp, wouldn't the four-cable method require at least 30 feet of cable (plus the board itself) just between your pre-amp and power amp alone? That's always seemed a little cumbersome to me.

Heh, electricity moves very quickly, but still...

Well I start off with a JHS buffer so the cable runs don't matter and get a good solid signal into the OD's, boost, compressor wah on the board. then to the front of the amp. Then effects loop back to a Zoom MSB100 for tuner, delay noise reduction, and the rare modulation. THEN I have two switch boxes one for channel switching and one for the Solo Boost on the Express 5:25+. That takes the place of the 4 button that came with it. So I basically have 5 cables running between the pedal board and the amp. I use the velcro tie wraps and the wrap them all in a web sleeve

http://www.amazon.com/Techflex-Split-Sleeving-feet-Black/dp/B0008JF8UK/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PNV5641YQD29BQJENHH

to made a snake out of them. Just plug into the board then plug into the amp and just one big cable runining between them.

I have a 5:25 Express, I had a Digitech RP1000. Use the four cable method, turn off the amp and cab sims, and you're good to go. This will allow all your time based and modulation effects to run through your effects loop, and your others through the front input of the amp.

As a suggestion for a rack effects unit, in my case, I upgraded to a G Major. The sounds, to me, are much better; but you also have to run a midi-based controller to change anything remotely.

royslead thanks for your response.

The G Major is one of two units I've kinda boiled my choices down to, the other being the Digitech GSP1101. Also Rocktron has a unit that might fit the bill.

The Digitech unit has a bunch of amp/cab models I don't need, but it's got it's own dedicated midi pedal controller.

May I ask: what controller did you choose for your G major?

I have two types, one I found too complicated (Behringer FC100) for my current needs, although I did get it working with my gear. The other is called the G Minor. Every now and then Guitar Center has them for about $40. They work great for switching presets - which is all I really need. You're looking at the Digitech 1101, if I remember right, it is basically an RP1000, in a more complicated rack form. It's a good unit, but if you are looking for something better than your RP500, i dont think youll find it in the 1101. Instead, look for a nice G Major or if budget allows, a G Major 2. It is in my opinion, a huge jump in tone. I don't have experience with the Rocktron though, so I cannot say which is better between it and the G Major. I'm quite new to rack gear, but finding it very useful in my rig.

I've been using the Digitech GSP1101 for years. I use the Control 1 foot switch with it.
This is by far the best sounding, easiest to program, FX unit that you can do 4 CM with.

I keep the amp sims turned off.
If you set up the Inputs/Outputs correctly, it is incredibly transparent.

I use the 1101 to add OD and Distortion before my amp, and Chorus, Delay, etc. in the Loop.
It works flawlessly, the patch changes are seamless, and I can send a midi Program Change command from every button (except Tap Tempo, Tuner, and Bank Up/Down) on the footswitch.

I use a Voodoo Lab Control Switcher to change my amp's functions: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ContSwitcher

All of this being said, the GSP1101 is just mediocre with the Digitech firmware.
There are some guys that supposedly used to work for Digitech (or still do work for them) that came up with some incredible firmware.
I'm using V63 of the Must Be Beta firmware and it is incredible! http://mustbebeta.com/gsp1101/gsp1101vc63.html

I just bought a Fractal FX8. I have to say that the FX are incredible, but the simplicity and clean sound of the 1101 is very hard to beat at any price range.
Plus, it's made in the US, which is a must for me if the company is from the US. I don't care what anyone says, outsourcing is not a good business model from the employee's perspective.
I don't mind Chinese tubes, but I wouldn't buy a Mesa if it were built in China........

Leathan said:
I've owned an Express 5:50+ for over a year now and have been getting by with a digitech RP500 plugged into the effects loop for all delay-based effects like chorus, phase, etc.

The problem of course is that the RP500 is really a floor unit and "wants" to be plugged directly into the amp's input , wheras the Express has an effects loop and seems to be optimized for some kind of a rack-mount unit.

Just looking for some general advice as to what units others may have used with the Express (or other FX-loop Mesas) and how they perform.

I must say: I'm having the damnedest time identifying a unit that will really meet my (fairly minimal) needs. I should mention I'm really not interested in amp/cabinet models and simulations, I'm quite satisfied with my Mesa amp and cab. Just wanting some chorus, delay, etc.

I look forward to any suggestions you might have.

Ahh if all you want is a few high quality time based effects why are stuffing around with el cheapo digital modellers. They have 50 effects and do none of them well. All you need is a few high quality stomp pedals.

High quality chorus, delay pedals sound equal or better than an Axe-FX for a few $100.
Run them thru your loop, they, re very easy to use, more versatile, more reliable and cheap.
with cheap modellers your mixing coke into Bollinger imo.

And modern mesa amps aren't optimised for rack mounted effects imo. They have high quality series loops for any high quality analog or digital effects unit. And except for Axe-FX these are nearly all stomp pedals imo

«And modern mesa amps aren't optimised for rack mounted effects imo. They have high quality series loops for any high quality analog or digital effects unit.»

Newsurfer, what is the difference between a stomp box and a rack mount that make you say that "modern mesa amps aren't optimized for rack mounted effects."

GuyB said:
«And modern mesa amps aren't optimised for rack mounted effects imo. They have high quality series loops for any high quality analog or digital effects unit.»

Newsurfer, what is the difference between a stomp box and a rack mount that make you say that "modern mesa amps aren't optimized for rack mounted effects."

It's in the name & the unit design - rack mounted units are made to insert in a wall rack like this
http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-fx-ii-preamp-fx-processor.php

Floor stomp pedals look like this
http://www.tcelectronic.com/flashback-delay/

Both these examples do delay - the AXE does much more of course for $3000 and sounds great.
The Flashback only does delay, costs $200 and sounds just as great.
Sound quality & versatility for delay is equal imo.
Both sound much much better, are way more versatile and are easier to use than any of the el cheapo digital multi modelling units that Digitech, Zoom, Line 6 or Boss make.

But if all you need/want is delay why get the Axe rack mount for $3000.
Mesa amps work just as great thru either a rack mounted Axe or a Flashback stomp pedal and you can run both thru the loop.
And if you own a an expensive Mesa why ruin it with with the poor quality affects in the el cheapo multi modelling units.
An expensive Mesa deserves quality imo and there's many floor stomp pedals around that provide high quality single effects :mrgreen:

Back