Lonestar 1x12 Combo Vs Express 5:50 Combo Help Me Choose

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been after a another amp for a while now I have a rectoverb 25 head and 1x12 cab I currently gig with but wanted something a little more compact but with slightly more headroom. I took the plunge the other day and bought a Lonestar 1x12 combo 100 watt version. First of all its a fantastic amp, great clean chan and loads of headroom. Chan 2 on the other hand although I can get a fairly high gain sound out of it and its pretty cranked gain wise. Plus the amp is heavy as well.

I was thinking on sending the lonestar back and getting the Express + 5:50 just purely because the Express has more gain and is less heavy. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are? Gain wise can you get a pretty high gain sound out of chan 2? And also what is chan 1 like? Plenty of headroom even though its 50 watts? I'm coming from a 25 watt amp anyway but I really dig the 100 watt headroom of the lonestar.

Even though I've only used the Lonestar a couple of days it does sound pretty awesome i just think maybe the Express is suited slightly more to me.

What do you think guys? Has any one had a lonestar or tried one and preferred the Express?

Thanks in advance

Paul

paulg2uk said:
Hey guys,

I've been after a another amp for a while now I have a rectoverb 25 head and 1x12 cab I currently gig with but wanted something a little more compact but with slightly more headroom. I took the plunge the other day and bought a Lonestar 1x12 combo 100 watt version. First of all its a fantastic amp, great clean chan and loads of headroom. Chan 2 on the other hand although I can get a fairly high gain sound out of it and its pretty cranked gain wise. Plus the amp is heavy as well.

I was thinking on sending the lonestar back and getting the Express + 5:50 just purely because the Express has more gain and is less heavy. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are? Gain wise can you get a pretty high gain sound out of chan 2? And also what is chan 1 like? Plenty of headroom even though its 50 watts? I'm coming from a 25 watt amp anyway but I really dig the 100 watt headroom of the lonestar.

Even though I've only used the Lonestar a couple of days it does sound pretty awesome i just think maybe the Express is suited slightly more to me.

What do you think guys? Has any one had a lonestar or tried one and preferred the Express?

Thanks in advance

Paul

I compared the 5:50 & LSC closely when I was trying to chose between them.
I have since played & gigged with both.
I luv both amps but prefer the 5:50 for the same reasons you give.

The cleans & reverb are very similar & equal in quality imo.
LSC has slightly more headroom but you just don't need it unless you play in a very very loud clean guitar group - like funk for example.
5:50 has more than enough clean headroom imo.
I've never got close to breaking up channel 1.

They are both equally great as pedal platforms also imo.

For me the 5:50 crunch & burn voices are better, it's got lots more gain on tap, it's 20 pounds lightly and also cheaper.
So all up it's more versatile & better suits my needs.

If you're an exclusively clean player who needs extreme headroom you might prefer the LSC.

Newysurfer said:
paulg2uk said:
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

Paul

I compared the 5:50 & LSC closely when I was trying to chose between them.
I have since played & gigged with both.
I luv both amps but prefer the 5:50 for the same reasons you give.

The cleans & reverb are very similar & equal in quality imo.
LSC has slightly more headroom but you just don't need it unless you play in a very very loud clean guitar group - like funk for example.
5:50 has more than enough clean headroom imo.
I've never got close to breaking up channel 1.

They are both equally great as pedal platforms also imo.

For me the 5:50 crunch & burn voices are better, it's got lots more gain on tap, it's 20 pounds lightly and also cheaper.
So all up it's more versatile & better suits my needs.

If you're an exclusively clean player who needs extreme headroom you might prefer the LSC.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually really digging the lonestar the cleans are just fantastic. After spending some more time with it I do get just enough gain from chan 2 and I can push it slightly if I put a drive pedal in front. I do need a good clean chan at the moment some of the stuff my band plays needs that headroom and I get that with my rectoverb 25 but I do like the 100 watt option it does sound better.

I'll probably end up buying an Express as well at some point when my GAS kicks in again lol. Or shall I send it back and get the Express? I'm in 2 minds at the moment to be honest I would really like to keep the Lonestar and get the Express further on down the line.

I'm still undecided at this point but I'll probably end up keeping the Lonestar and getting the Express another time.

Back