Express 5:25 Master Volume (5w setting)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratcat

Reaction score
With the amp set to 5w (LED indicated), I still have to keep the Master set very low (less than 7 o'clock) or volume becomes very loud and unsuitable for home use.

Is this typical or is something preventing 5W setting even though LED for this wattage is illuminated?

Thanks for any suggestions

In a small room 5w can get pretty loud and if it is a Plus model the Vintage 30 speaker can get loud.

You could try putting one of these in the effects loop.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xguitar+volume+box.TRS0&_nkw=guitar+volume+box&_sacat=0

These shunt some of the preamp signal to ground making the master volume knob no so sensitive. I use one with my 40 watt BDRI even for live playing because the taper of the preamp gain has about ALL the range in the 1-3 range. These don't seem to suck tone, if you buy a good one with a quality pot in it, like an attenuator between the power amp output and the speaker input and cost about 1/1000 as much so a cheap tryout.

I've got a Weber Mass hooked onto my 40W BDRI - does a great job in overdriving tubes at less than ear-splitting volumes, but the consensus seems to be that you really don't want to max out the Weber to get manageable bedroom sound - radically reduces tube life. It's also expensive - around $350 to bring into Canada.

Had a THD Hot Plate I tried to use with my BDRI, it had to be about full on to really tame anything down to bedroom level and really never got there. Just something else to pack to the gig and set up and heavy! The volume box gave more play on the preamp volume which seemed to be all between 1 and 4 with 1.2 already getting loud, It help to give more range. Hard to push the tubes on one of those baby's unless you are outside.

I run my 5:25+ with the clean gain around 12 oclock and the master down at about 2 and get bedroom level.

Thanks for the input everyone. I recall seeing videos on YouTube where the Master is set around 10 o'clock and those demoing the amp are not wearing hearing protection. I wonder "how can that be?"

If I can find the links, I will post them.

In my basement, I'm set below 8 o'clock...until my son starts drumming, and then I'm at 9 o'clock.

Love the amp. I'm currently using my1984 Mesa Boogie Studio 22 as a speaker cabinet for the Express Head.

Stratcat said:
Thanks for the input everyone. I recall seeing videos on YouTube where the Master is set around 10 o'clock and those demoing the amp are not wearing hearing protection. I wonder "how can that be?"

If I can find the links, I will post them.

In my basement, I'm set below 8 o'clock...until my son starts drumming, and then I'm at 9 o'clock.

Love the amp. I'm currently using my1984 Mesa Boogie Studio 22 as a speaker cabinet for the Express Head.

Do you have sound damping on the walls and floor and ceiling?

No - any suggestions?

I'm going to try a new one out at the local shop and see if it's similar. Perhaps it's just my expectations that I should have less volume at 5 watts than at 30 watts for the same settings.

I just checked for sure and on my clean I am running gain at 1 o'clock and and master at 8 o'clock. That is boosted just a little with my pedals as I don't set them so much to push the front in but to just give a different tone and break up. My "Fender" tone or just a nice clean Mesa to tell the truth I like it better than my DRRI. When I want to just run clean I have a compressor on with just a slight boost to match the OD's. That is pretty loud by OK for my music room. Mines a 5:25 and then is not much difference between the 15 and 25 setting as far as volume just a slight difference in headroom and a difference in feel. The is a noticeable difference going down to 5 watts with much less headroom and that classic "A" amp breakup that is great for blues, it's just running on one power tube when set to 5 watts. Running on the Burn channel the gain is set to 10 o'clock and the master to 9 o'clock. This is the Dumble on the edge tone and with a slight OD into it Blues Rock tone but I more like just the amp tone without OD.

Remember the pre-amp tone controls add gain especially the treble. My trebles are just slight cut, mid's about mid and just a slight bass boost about 1 o'clock. And the graphic can push the overall volume up, cut as much as you boost with the graphic. I prefer the preset eq knobs set at about 10 o'clock it's just easier to use and I like the curve there.

I seem to have the opposite problem.... Mine is crazy loud on 25 watt but when I switch it to 5 watt there is almost no volume at all. If I crank the master I can just hear the guitar through the amp on both channels. Tried swapping out preamp tubes with no success. Any ideas?

I gig my 5:25 with the drive channel on 5 and the clean on 15. Master Volume for both are roughly 9-10 for drive and clean. LOTS of volume.

You were right. Power tube was cooked. I switched them around and it worked. New pair in there now. Thanks all!

Back